Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Life Happens But I Am Moving On




Sometimes things happen that are beyond my control.  I have been missing in action for the past week or so. But it's time to get back to business and move on.


One of the things that I do to save money when buying groceries is to menu plan from my stockpile. I know that a lot of people make a menu and then make a grocery list and shop. If that works for you then that's fine. I find that I spend less if I stockpile when the prices are at rock bottom. Then I make my menu plan based on what is in my freezer, fridge, and pantries.

Especially when winter is around the corner and we don't plan on going out much. So this month I have been stocking on those things that won't be at rock bottom for another year.We now have 4 turkeys in our freezer to eat every few months. That gives me cheap poultry for most of the year. Turkeys in our area have been on sale for $ .48 a lb. with a minimum $25. purchase. I bought a couple of those but I also splurged on two Butterballs at $ 1.19 a lb. Even though I had a turkey in the freezer from last year, I decided to thaw a  Butterball for Thanksgiving. It is much larger and the breasts are much meatier than my store brands. After Thanksgiving that will give me more meat for leftovers for our company and us to enjoy.

A side note on the turkeys. I have always known that frozen turkeys will last at least two years in my freezer. Have you noticed that this year, the companies are putting the expiration dates right on the turkey wrappers? The Butterballs that I purchased have an expiration date of 2017.

I would have loved to stock on some turkey breasts too but they are very expensive this year. Hopefully around April or May they will go on sale at a decent price and I can stock. I love those for sandwich meat.

I froze 12 bags of cranberries purchased  on a B1G1 sale. We use these to make cranberry sauce, muffins and cranberry orange bread.

Canned pumpkin was $ .89 a can so I ended up buying two cases. They will make cheap breads, muffins, pies and pancakes.

I purchased 30 lbs. of potatoes at $ .19 a  lb. I am trying something new this year to keep them for the winter. Last year I kept them in the basement and that didn't work well. A friend told me  that she keeps them in her garage and they have never frozen or rotted so we will try that.

I purchased enough flour, sugar, and other baking items to last until next November. The other items that I have stocked on are pecans and walnuts which I froze, 14 lbs. of unsalted butter, a case of evaporated milk, 10 cream of chicken soup (for a few casseroles), 6 low sodium chicken broth to use in sauces, 12 cream cheese, 6 whipping cream, and 15 bags of assorted frozen vegetables.

I do this all year long whenever items are at rock bottom. I purchase corned beefs at St. Patricks Day, legs of lamb at Easter, and hams at Christmas. 

So as you can see I always have food to make menus from. The picture above shows the menu plan that I made starting this past Sunday. It only takes me 15 minutes to decide and put the main items on it. Veggies and fruits just get added while I am cooking dinners.  I do this every week and post it in the kitchen where both my husband I can see it. I take into account what days are busier than others and if we are going out to eat.  

Today and tomorrow, I will be doing a lot of baking for Thanksgiving. Then my family will arrive for Thanksgiving and an extended stay. So I will be back on Tuesday with my November Monthly Expense Report.

I hope that each of you and your families have a wonderful Thanksgiving! If you have to travel, be safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment