Monday, November 16, 2015

My Weekend of Being Frugal

I had a very frugal weekend but that is something that I usually don't even think about any more. It is  just so ingrained in my psyche that I just do it.

But as I pondered what I would write about this morning, it occurred to me that not everyone has a frugal side to them. So perhaps some of these ideas could help them.

We had unexpected company this weekend. I am used to whipping up a quick breakfast,lunch, or dinner when that happens. However their visit occurred in between meals. Since I don't keep a lot snacks in the pantry, I took 2 cans of chickpeas and made a homemade hummus. Fortunately, I had some tahini in the house. I served it with cut up celery and carrot sticks.  I made some iced tea for a  quick beverage. We enjoyed their company and they loved the hummus.
  
We never left the house so no gasoline was used. We are still using the same tank of gasoline that we purchased the beginning of the month.

I did a large load of laundry on Saturday morning  and hung it to dry in the basement. That will save on our energy bill. Speaking of energy bills, I have to read the meters today and submit those readings to my utility company. They estimate the bills every  other month and if I don't read it, they send me that estimated bill.  I hate estimates. I want to pay for what I have actually used.  I know that it will even out next month when they do read. But rates go up and down monthly, so I want to pay exactly what I owe.

I spent a few hours uncluttering the house on Saturday. I hate clutter so I like to keep on top of it. If you visited me, you would look around and say what clutter? But there is always a box or drawer or nook and cranny that needs to be gone through. I ended up with a large bag of clothing to donate to Goodwill.  I will get a receipt for tax purposes. I also found my rolling pin that I have been looking for since we moved here years ago. After holding out for a long time. I had just replaced it a few months ago. So it went into the garage sale pile for next spring. I also have a stack of books that I no longer want so they will get sold online. 

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so do you hate the way it smells sometimes? Ick! So I did my weekly cleaning of it with my homemade recipe. I make a 1/4 cup of lemon juice using my lemon powder and add 1/4 cup of baking soda to it. Mix it quickly because it fizzes up fast. Then pour it down the garbage disposal. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then run the garbage disposal with cold water. This keeps those smells away. If you don't have lemon powder or lemon juice, you can mix a little Lemonade KoolAid with water to make a 1/4 of a cup and then add the baking soda. 

I have a two piece Disposal Genie that keeps things  like silverware from going down into the drain where my garbage disposal is. I put that and my filter from my stove fan into the top rack of my dishwasher along with my sponge last night. I use the sanitize cycle to clean them really well.

I finally put our electric blanket on our bed yesterday. This allows us to turn the heat down another 2 degrees at night to save on energy. 

I planned to roast a large chicken for dinner last night. However, I took it out of the freezer too late for it to thaw all of the way. So I quickly had to change plans. Digging around in the freezer I found 3 bags consisting of fish fillets, French fries and onion rings. They were all about 1/8 full. So I baked them in the toaster oven and we had an easy dinner. I was happy to get rid of those bags since they were some of the last unhealthy things in the house. I have been trying to rid the house of all unhealthy food but will not throw out what I already had purchased since that would be wasteful. 

I got a head start on Thanksgiving and Christmas baking by making two loaves of homemade banana bread on Saturday. I hope today to bake two loaves of homemade cranberry bread today. They will be frozen until needed.

Dinner tonight will be the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery all roasted in the same pan. I will make homemade gravy too. We will most likely get 5 meals from this chicken this week.

On Saturday night, neither my husband nor I were very hungry. So he ate a leftover piece of homemade pizza and I cooked a butternut squash with some  butter and brown sugar. YUM! 

Entertainment for my husband was football. I watched a movie on Netflix and did some reading.

I am sure I did more things but I am rushed for time today. Sorry that there are no pictures. My camera is giving me trouble so my husband will take a look at it for me. I hope you all have a frugal day!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment