Thursday, November 12, 2015

Planning for Thanksgiving


Have you made your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you having a DIY one?

We are doing it all ourselves. Happily our entire immediate family will be here for turkey day. It will be the first time we have been together here in a few years. My husband and I are very excited about spending the day with our children, their wives and our grandchildren.

So I have started to list out our menu to make sure that I have everything in the pantry, fridge and freezer. With the exception of celery and wine, I think we are pretty well set. I already have the 23 lb. turkey in my freezer that was purchased last year. If turkeys are a good price this year, I will buy a few for during the next year. 

Just about all of our ingredients were purchased on sale over the past month or so. Everything will be made from scratch except the jellied cranberry sauce.

We will be having turkey, gravy, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn casserole, pickles & olives, stuffed celery, cranberry sauce, rolls, and 3 different pies. I think they will be pumpkin, apple and blueberry. The blueberries were frozen at their peak this summer. Of course, ice cream will be an option also.

We will have wine with dinner, coffee after and an after dinner drink with dessert which usually ends up being eaten in the evening because we are all too stuffed to eat if after dinner. Any of you love Amarula?  It's a cream liqueur that is imported from South Africa. My son and DIL introduced it to us a while ago. I am lucky enough to have an unopened bottle on the shelf that was a gift from them. So that will be our after dinner drink.

Of course the wine I pick will be boxed because they are now just as good as the bottled and cheaper. Including the wine, my entire dinner will come in under $55.00 with lots of leftovers for the days that will follow. 

One year a long, long time ago, I was sick of cooking Thanksgiving dinner. So we took our children, my Mom and her husband out to a very nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. I definitely enjoyed not cooking. However that said, it definitely wasn't the same. There were no leftovers and it wasn't as cozy as eating at home. I won't say that I will never do that again but I don't mind cooking Thanksgiving dinner so much anymore. And it is definitely cheaper than going out.

Nothing on our menu is overly fussy or majorly expensive. The Amarula would be but since it was a gift that defrays that cost. We pretty much stick to basics for holiday dinners that are inexpensive and yummy.

We will not be eating until around 6PM so that some  of my family can travel here that day. The others are coming early to help me cook. So I have baked homemade quick breads that have already been frozen, have cheese and crackers, plenty of nuts, and will cook some raw shrimp to have with cocktail sauce during the day.

So now I must go plan my cleaning and get the guest rooms ready. I hope to be all done by next Friday with all of that since we are having company that weekend also.


No comments:

Post a Comment