Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Meat Is So Expensive

Meat has gotten so expensive over the past  couple of years. Beef is the worst so Hubby and I started eating a lot more chicken and turkey. But with beef prices coming down, we are stocking the freezer with a bit of it. My grocery store has whole or half boneless NY strip loins on sale for $ 5.99 a lb. Depending on how good they look and what grade they are, I may buy one this week. If I get a whole one, I am going to have the butcher cut it into a roast and the rest into steaks for the grill in the spring.

Until now, the only beef that we have been eating is reduced price, 3 sirloin roasts that were on sale for $3.99 a lb which I cut into stew meat, and enough ground chuck to make a pot of chili. 

I am always combing the meat counter for reduced price. I found the pictured package the other day. It was expiring on December 27. The day I purchased it, we had steak sandwiches( that is why one steak is missing in the picture) with peppers and onions for dinner. The meat was a little tougher than I am used to being that it was chuck.


But I remembered our days when we were first married. I used to buy chuck for everything. So I cut up the rest of the meat into strips and put it in some marinade overnight that usually tenderizes the meat. Then, I used it to make a teriyaki stir fry with onions, peppers, and pineapple and served it on rice. It was tender and delicious. We actually had enough left for a lunch.

Don't be afraid to buy reduced price meat as long as  you can use it or freeze it before it's expiration date. I have saved a lot of money on the cost of meat doing this and I have only had one package that was bad when I bought it. I had no problem returning that package to the store for a refund.

Even though beef prices are cheaper than they have been for a year or longer, we still won't buy a lot of it. We have plenty of poultry and other meats in our freezers that we have purchased at rock bottom prices. Those items are what we rely on when we aren't eating meatless meals.

2 comments:

  1. I comb the reduced -for-quick-sale bin too. Our local butcher usually has some great buys. Our meals are planned around whatever we can find. Happy New Year!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea for meal planning! Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year to you also.

      Delete