Monday, December 21, 2015

My Ten Must Do's For The End Of 2015

There are a number of things that I do every year to make sure that the New Year starts smoothly for us.
Some of them have been done already but most of them will be done next week between the day after Christmas and New Year's Eve. Here is my list:

1. Determine our financial goals and figure out how we will do this. This was done and is here and here.

2. Re-balance our portfolio. We have done this. If you don't know what this means read this.

3. We gather all of the receipts or tax items that we need to do our 2015 income taxes in one place. I have a folder that I just file them into all year long. As our 1099's and other tax items come in during January, I just add them to this folder. Then when I am ready to do and submit our taxes, everything is at my fingertips.

4. I give our home a good cleaning after Christmas so that we start 2016 with everything spic and span.

5. I always clean our freezers and refrigerator and make sure that the inventory for them is accurate. I try to always update our inventory when we add or remove an item but I am not perfect so things get missed. At least in the beginning of 2016, it will be accurate.

6. On this coming Saturday, I will be shopping for gifts for next year at 75-90% off.  I always go out on the day after Christmas and try to get as much as I can in the way of gifts for next year. I look for big markdowns and clearance and I always bring the coupons I need to use. I will scour the newspaper sometime on Christmas Day and determine what stores I will go to. I got so much wrapping paper, etc. last year that I have enough for next year also. So I will only be looking for gifts.

7. I will make my list of areas of my home that need some organization in 2016. That way I can plan for  whatever containers I might need to buy in January when they are cheaper.

8. I will take the pile of clothing, etc. that we have in the basement up to Goodwill so as to get a receipt for 2015 taxes. I just went through boxes that we moved here almost 6 years. If they hadn't been opened since we moved in, I figure we really don't need them. So I made an inventory of the items for my receipt and they are all getting donated.

9. I write out my cleaning schedule for each month next year noting daily, weekly, monthly, and bi-yearly items. This goes in my planner.

10. I also write out my exercise plan for each week next year. It changes according to the weather. I do more outside when the weather is nice. In the winter, I use my treadmill and recumbent bike regularly.

Those are my "Top Ten". Yours might be different but it is all food for thought. Organization has saved me so much money over the years that it is worth my time. I rarely lose anything and have to replace it. Except for that darn rolling pin that eluded me for 5 and 1/2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment