Saturday, January 2, 2016

Our Bulk Beef Purchase

As I mentioned in a prior post, I was considering buying a whole boneless NY strip loin at my grocery store this past week. 

Last Wednesday, I did just that. I went to the store and found them in the meat case. Then I went and found the head butcher in the higher priced meat dept. I asked him to come out with me to the meat case and to use his expertise to pick out the best one. He did and what a beauty it is. 

I asked him to cut a third of it into a roast for me and then cut the rest into 1 and 1/4 inch strip steaks. He asked if I wanted him to trim any of it. I said no because I know how fast they work and a lot more meat than I would like gets cut off with that fat. I told him I would trim it at home myself. So he cut it for me and layered it into the package you see above.

When I got home, I trimmed the meat and used my food saver to package up the 8 steaks. They are huge and plenty big enough for Hubby and I to split one for a meal. However,  the roast which you see laying on top of everything was larger than Hubby and I would like to roast at one time. So Hubby cut it into two roasts and I trimmed and packaged those. 

The roasts will get cooked over the cold months. The steaks are being saved for grill season this spring and summer.

Do you see how much money I saved by purchasing this on sale for $ 5.99 a lb.? Not that I would ever pay the full price of $13.99 a lb. This 10.44 lb. loin will give us 8 steak meals and most likely 10 meals from the roasts including a pot of beef barley soup. So 18 delicious beef meals will cost us about $ 3.42 for the two of us per meal for this tender meat. My only regret is that I didn't have the freezer space to buy two loins.

When you are buying in bulk always use the butcher's expertise to pick out the best for you. Then never be afraid to ask them to cut up a large piece for you the way you want it. I do it all the time with all kinds of cuts of meat, whether it be beef, whole pork loins, hams, etc. When I have bought a chuck roast at rock bottom price, I ask the butcher to grind it for me. When I used to buy cold cuts, I would buy a 1/2 boneless ham, I would take it to the deli and have them cut it into cold cuts for sandwiches for us. I would save about $3.00 a lb. doing it that way. 

I no longer buy cold cuts. We cook our own meat at home for cold cuts - beef, chicken, turkey, ham. etc. Then we slice it on our home meat slicer. Hubby did that last week with a turkey breast. We have saved so much money over the years doing this. 

Do you buy in bulk for your meat?   

No comments:

Post a Comment