Monday, February 22, 2016

A Few Extreme Frugality Things That We Have Done

Now you may not think these tips are extreme but other people will. So pick and choose what will help your bottom line accordingly:

- If you pay your monthly credit card bill in full, sign up for a card that will give you points to travel and then save those points to pay for your vacation or vacations.

- Bicycle to work. When I worked part time, I did this. If your work is close enough, you will save on gasoline but also get your exercise. If you can't ride your bike, carpool or ride the bus.

- Eat for Forty Cents a Day like Brandy does:
   Forty Cents a Day

- Buy second hand at thrift stores, curb pick (especially if you have a college near you and go the week they leave for the summer) and Craigslist.

- Learn how to do repairs and just about anything else by searching online. Lots of people have amazing videos to show you how.

- Grow a garden and eat from that garden all summer.

- For Christmas make all of your gifts. I did this a couple of years and may do it again. It was fun because you had to come up with something very creative for each person that they would love and you could make. Homemade gifts mean so much more to me.

- Use gray water or collect the water while you shower to flush toilets or water plants.

- Buy generics or store brands.

- Cook a big pot of soup or chili, etc. on Sundays and take it for your lunches all week. Now that we are retired from the  work world, I still make big pots of food and we eat it every night until it is gone.

- Make your own laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent and cleaning products.

-Plug your TV's and computer electronics into power strips so that you can turn them all the way off when they are not in use. This will save you on your electricity bill.

- Turn your heat down to 62 during the day and to 55 at night.

- Make your own beer, wine or sangria.

- Make most of your clothes.

- If you don't know how to sew, you can still mend your own things when they need it.

- Make all of your own bread and rolls.

- When you get the new phone book, use the pages from the old one to wash windows and mirrors.

- Buy no clothes for a year.

- Wash out your ziploc bags and reuse but not ones that have had raw meat in them.

- Water down your hand soaps or use a foaming one.

- The longer you can keep the A/C off in the summer the better for your electric bill. If you have a hot evening, put your pillow cases in the freezer for a couple of hours.

- Reuse your tea bags for another cup and your coffee grinds for a second pot.

- Don't waste any leftovers. Be creative and turn them into another meal.

- Take navy showers. Some people I know even take cold showers. That one is a little hard for me especially in the winter.

- Give up soda. Not only is it expensive but it is very unhealthy. Drink tap water.

I am under the weather today and mostly resting. So rather than not post when I promised I would, I am leaving you with this list.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done all of these but I've done many.
    I'd like to dumpster dive but husband would think was crazy and dangerous, he may be right. What about you?
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,

    I agree with your husband. I have only done it once and that was when we lived temporarily in an apt. while this house was being built. I dived for coupon inserts in our apt. complex dumpster.I was nervous the entire time. At my age now, I wouldn't even consider it.

    ReplyDelete