Monday, February 1, 2016

February Grocery Challenge

I am issuing a Grocery Challenge to myself and to you for the month of February. So many of us I am sure have huge pantries. Let's eat that food up before it expires. No waste in our homes if it can be avoided.

For the month of February, I am going to try to buy nothing. No milk, no fresh vegetables, no meat, no chicken, nothing that goes in our mouths. I would love to be able to invest that money at the end of the month instead.

This will be for food consumed at home only. That doesn't mean that you should eat out more often than you do now. That would be cheating. And it will only increase your restaurant bill for the month. So you would be substituting your restaurant expenses for your food eaten at home expenses.  

This will be a real challenge. If I run out of something that I need, I will either make it homemade, make a substitution, or go without it all together.

If I make it homemade, I will give you the recipe. If I make a substitution I will let you know how. If we go without, I will tell you. 

I plan on not walking into a grocery store until March and maybe not even then.  If this goes well, I may continue it.

How many of you would like to join in? I will be glad to motivate you each day by letting you know what we are eating. 

Today, I made sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits for breakfast. We  also had coffee and Hubby had cranberry juice.  Lunch will be carrot and celery sticks with dip. Hubby made a pot of chili over the weekend so we will be finishing that for dinner on rice that is already made. Snacks will be anything in the snack baskets or the homemade trail mix that I made yesterday. It is pictured above. It's yogurt raisins, M&M's, pretzel sticks, whole cashews, and cheddar goldfish. Hubby and my grandson love it. A handful is all you need to satisfy your craving for sweet and salty. 

So join in and save some of your money this month for financial independence, paying off debt, your vacation fund, college tuition, a home deposit or any other goal that you have made for this year.

 

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I can buy nothing all month but mu kitchen is certainly stocked.
    Realistically, I'll shoot for $50 a week for the first 3 weeks. Then I am sure we will go to the commissary.

    I already "saved" $600 this morning. I was almost ready to order a nice futon sleeper for the play room and I then I came up with a way to rearrange things we already have. We just moved the bed around and changed out a table for some small shelves and added a chair from the living room. There is plenty of room for playing and sleeping now. . I am truly psyched to keep saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you is terrific. I love the rearranging you did so that you didn't have to buy the sleeper. Where there is a will there is a way!
      I am so glad you are psyched.

      Delete
  2. I'll watch from the sidelines. I'm also trying not to spend in Feb; BUT, our dog will need food next week and i will get milk for The Mr. I don't drink it, but he and i had a conversation years ago about this. Eeeessshh!! Our daughter is getting married in March and i still need to get shoes and undergarments and pay for alterations. So, whatever i don't spend on food will be spent otherwise. (This doesn't include an extra trip to help the in-laws move into assisted living this month…) It never ends..

    ReplyDelete
  3. If all you buy is dog food and milk,that is not much. Enjoy using your food money elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete