Thursday, February 11, 2016

Frugal Things Done In The Past Few Days

We've done a number of frugal  things in the past few days.

The only shopping I did last week is pictured above. They were all free after coupons. The wipes will go in the shower basket. The shower is this weekend so the basket is done.  I have been doing great not buying food. We are trying to eat from our freezer in order to use up a lot of meat, veggies, and fruits. 

We have been eating smoothies for breakfast made with peaches, strawberries and blueberries that we froze at their peak last year. Hubby loves blueberry pancakes so I have made them a couple of days also. 

Three days ago I cooked us a corned beef dinner. I had a cabbage that was getting old in the fridge and I still had two corned beefs that I bought at rock bottom last March. They need to be used up before I get a couple this year. Hubby loves corned beef hash and sandwiches. I love  the red potatoes, cabbage, and carrots that have been cooked in with the corned beef. So we have been eating leftovers and will probably finish them tonight. The next thing I am thawing to cook is a 15 lb. turkey. Perhaps I will invite our son and his family who live closer to us to enjoy it.

The only thing that I needed to make was the cocktail sauce that I told you about in a prior post. Otherwise we haven't needed anything that I would even think about going to the store for. 

Yesterday, I did a load of wash in cold water and hung it to dry. I was tempted to put it in the dryer because it was cold yesterday. I couldn't get warm nor could Hubby even though the heat was at 71. I didn't want to push the heat up any higher so we spent part of the day under throws watching the Netflix movie, Lila and Eve. 

This is the first I have told you but I have been fighting a huge teaching hospital in another city for about a month over a bill they sent. They sent a bill  showing that they billed my health insurance $860. for a test and the remaining balance was $40.00 which they were billing me for. When I got the bill, I was seeing red. I went to the appointment for the test; however they were not able to even get the prep done properly for the test. I was told I would not be billed. So I  called them twice disputing this bill. They said they would have to research it. I thought research what. They have no test results if that is what they are looking for. Well, finally today, I got a call from them and they agree that the bill is in error and I don't owe anything. I asked them if they were going to reverse the charges to the insurance company and they said yes. I told them I want something in writing to prove that. So they are sending me a bill with all of the charges reversed showing a $.00 balance. Believe me when I say I will be following up with the insurance companies to make sure they get their money back. No wonder Medicare costs and insurance costs are going up if they bill erroneously like this. Someone else might have paid the $40. and let it slide. Not me. I didn't owe it and I was not paying for it. Even my Dr. who ordered it told me that I probably wouldn't win against  the hospital since they took the time to try to do the test. The Dr. was wrong. I was not paying $860. for 3 minutes in their room. So the squeaky wheel gets the oil.  Make sure you look over  your medical bills really well when you receive them. They make mistakes too often.This tells me that they bill you the minute you are called in for an appointment and don't check to make sure that a test was even done.

Hubby and I have been staying in because it has gotten really cold here and we seem to be getting snow almost every night again. So we are doing odds and ends around the house. I went through our dressers yesterday and made a pile of donation clothing. I also weeded out my coupon binder of outdated coupons and filed a couple. I rarely use coupons anymore but I want to be able to find them if I need them. Hubby has been catching up on some correspondence. He also contacted a cousin who reached out to him recently.

Today, I will be taking the turkey out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge. For breakfast, we had English muffin bread with peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam. Lunch will be a corned beef sandwich for Hubby and humus and tortilla chips for me.  

Without doing a lot of shopping, we have not used much gasoline. Even though it is cheap, I still hate filling up the tank.

I hope you all have a frugal day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment