Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Keeping It Simple

There is one thing that we have been working on  around here the past month or so. It is that we are keeping things simple. 

With me organizing every inch of our home, I don't have time to make anything over complicated. Yet I want to still be frugal. Hubby is busy working on another project.

The most important thing that is being kept simple is mealtime. We didn't want to spend any extra money to do that or buy processed or take out food.

So we are eating either oatmeal with fruit, smoothies, toast with peanut butter and homemade jam, pancakes and eggs and toast for breakfasts. The eggs are eaten no more than twice a week. It is also helping us eat down our freezer since that is where most of the homemade jam and fruit that I put up last summer resides. I am making our bread for toast which is easy in my bread maker especially since I  have homemade mixes already in baggies on my pantry shelf. So it is just a matter of dumping and adding the liquids. I have homemade pancake mix at the  ready also. The eggs we have been cooking in the microwave. I want it simple so that I can dive into my organizing first thing in the morning. 

Lunches are either healthy snacks, a salad, or an easy sandwich made from leftover chicken or turkey.

Dinners have been spaghetti with homemade sauce(in our freezer) with no meat for Hubby. The spaghetti is cooked in the microwave and the sauce is reheated there. I have spaghetti with some frozen broccoli, olive oil and parmigiano reggiano cheese that I grate. We also throw together large pots of soup that last for days. Pictured is the taco soup or tortilla soup( whatever you want to call it) that I threw together for tonight's dinner. It's just a matter of dumping a can of whole corn, 16 oz. of black beans that I had precooked and stored in the freezer, homemade chicken broth, a can of diced tomatoes, taco seasoning to taste, leftover chunked chicken, and a can of green chilies. We serve it with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, or tortillas with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top. Most of the time for dinners we eat a 5-6 ounce portion of meat, poultry, or fish with a salad or frozen vegetables. We add fruit like applesauce to our meals sometimes or have frozen fruit thawed for dessert. On Friday nights, we have been having a quick frozen pizza which I stockpiled a while ago.  When my organizing is over, I will get back to making something fussy on Sundays but otherwise we are going to keep it simple.

Simple will not only save us money because we are not buying a lot of expensive ingredients but it will be a healthier diet. The time it saves is worth a fortune to me. When I dive into a project, I go all in. If I didn't keep meals simple, I wouldn't have time to blog right now and I like talking to all of you. 

When my organizing is done, I have a million other projects on my list. I thrive on being busy. Hopefully spring will be here soon. As I look outside at a foot of snow, I wonder. However, when spring gets here I have gardens to work on and gutters to clean, etc. 

So if you are looking for more time and more money, keep it simple!   

No comments:

Post a Comment