Friday, February 26, 2016

My Favorite Go To Frugality Books

Hubby and I will be married 49 years soon. Along the way we have learned a lot about frugality. In the early days, we learned by frequenting the library. There was no internet which has now made it so much easier to  research whatever you need to know.

However, I still love the feel of a book in my hands so we still use the library. We have collected quite a library of books that we knew we would read over and over again. Even if we only look in the index for exactly what we need to brush up on.

We also both have kindles and read a lot of frugality books and cookbooks by using them. I love being able to look at depression era recipes when I am trying to save money on the food budget. I have also collected many depression era books for my library.

Where is the library? It's a huge bookcase that I keep in my pantry in the basement. It is just brimming with self-help books on frugality. I am going to be cleaning it out soon and either selling or donating the ones I need. I actually believe that I have more of these kinds of books than our local library. So perhaps I will donate them so others can enjoy them.

When we moved cross country 6 years ago, I reduced the number that we had by half and donated them to the library in the city we lived at the time. We didn't want to pay a fortune to have Atlas move them. They weigh a ton. But  a lot of them I did move and I think I am finally ready to let them go.

When I go through them I will pull out my favorites and just keep those. Pictured above are the ones that I know I will keep forever. They are my go to "Bibles on Frugality".

I use these books over and over again. When I have a large chunk of free time, I will read them again and again. This weekend for the first time in a long time, we have no company coming, no errands to run, and no major cooking or cleaning to do. So I will be spending the entire weekend reading. I will be starting with " The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn. It is my very favorite followed by "1001 Ways to Cut Your Expenses by Jonathan Pond. 
If you need motivation to cut your debt or save your money, these are two great books to start with.

Changing the subject, Hubby and I will  be having turkey sandwiches for lunch and homemade turkey soup for dinner. Overnight I made the broth in the crockpot. This morning I strained the broth and picked out the meat bits to go back into the broth. Right now the broth is cooling in a bowl in my freezing garage. About noontime, I will bring it in and  take the layer of fat off of it, add my veggies and turkey back in and cook it on high until I add the rice an hour or so before we eat. We are so looking forward to a nice bowl of soup. So these meals will bring our total to 4 for each of us from this turkey.

I will post again on Monday with our February Expense Report and how much we saved and invested this month. Enjoy your weekend!
       

4 comments:

  1. The Complete Tightwad Gazette, Your Money or Your Life and Living Well on Practically Nothing are the books that I reread the most.

    I also have a small collection of Depression era books (mostly cookbooks w/stories) that have great money-saving recipes, but also stories to keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AD, this is Chris. Thanks for the book recommendations. I have read some of them, but not all. Will see if my library has some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete