Friday, March 11, 2016

Do You Menu Plan?


Do you menu plan? I do and then I stop and then I start. I just can't get myself to do it every week. It seems like a lot of work.

I am a very organized person but in menu planning I am a fly by the seat of my pants person. I decide what is for dinner the night before while I am cleaning up for dinner. Then I thaw whatever is needed in the refrigerator overnight. If I need to cut up vegetables or prepare other ingredients, I do those too. If I have roasted a turkey, roast beef or other big piece of meat on Sunday, we will eat off of it for 3-4 days. So then I just have to think about preparing sides.

There are so many bloggers out there who menu plan and show us how to prepare their meals. So I guess I don't have to be a menu planner.  But I am more likely to go to their blogs and just look up a recipe for whatever I am thawing and make sure it is is one that I have all the ingredients for. I don't like recipes that call for a lot of spices or ingredients that I don't normally have on hand or that I would buy. Especially spices that you might buy for one recipe and then never use again. To me that is just wasteful.

Having cooked for almost 49 years, I throw a lot of meals together without recipes. Heck, I don't even measure ingredients for a lot of them.

However when I do want a recipe I will google to see if I can find one. They don't always turn out as well as I think they will which is very frustrating. Some do and some don't.

All of that said, today I want to share with you the sites whose recipes I do like and whose recipes turn out beautifully 95% of the time.

Some of my very favorite recipes come from Brandy's The Prudent Homemaker  website. They are delicious, nutritious, and cost efficient. We have tried her Granola which has become a staple in our home. It is so good on top of yogurt for breakfast. Her Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup  and her
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are superb. We have tried many, many, more of her recipes. Go check out her site. 

Another site that I frequently use for recipes is
I Am That Lady .  She has many Aldi meal plans that are freeze and dump meals. You can find them at
Freezer Meals . What I like about these is the ingredients she uses are from Aldis. These are a great time saver if you want to prepare and freeze a lot of meals all at once. We love her Baked Ravioli ,
Texas Roadhouse Pot Roast , and her Pork Chops with Apples . Check out her recipes! You will not be disappointed. 

Lastly we love the site Damn Delicious . Her recipe 
Asian Honey Chicken is a favorite in our household. We have mostly tried her Asian inspired dishes. We have tried every Chinese Take Out within a 20 mile radius of where we live and they are all awful. So when we are craving really good Chinese food we get the recipes from her site.

Since there are so many sites out in the blogosphere to help me, I don't feel a need to make a menu plan every week. I rely on their sites when we want something different from the repertoire that are my throw together meals.

Check out their recipes. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. If you have a favorite site that you rely on, feel free to leave a comment and share it with us. 

2 comments:

  1. You sound like me! I plan menus for a while then get off track and fly by the seat of my pants, etc. I guess there is room for all kinds in this world. My older sister used to plan a month at a time when she was raising her family of seven children. I can't do that. How do I know what I'll be in the mood for or what leftovers will need to be used up; or as the children got older and more active outside the home sometimes I wasn't sure who or how many would be home (sometimes they bring friends home!). Thanks for sharing the recipe sites, it's good to try new things from reputable sources. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rozy,

    Thankfully there are. I think you nailed why I don't plan. When the kids were at home, I never knew how many would be at our table so I never could plan.

    I hope you enjoy their recipes as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete