Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Freezer Cooking: My Favorites

I ended up going out to pick up Hubby's prescription  this morning since he slept in. I wanted to get to Aldi's for when it opened. I have had the experience, more than once, on their Wednesday meat specials of having gone too late and the item is all gone. So at 9AM, I was in the door and picked up two packages of the $1.49 a lb. boneless chicken breasts, a pineapple for $ 1.29 and a qt. of 1/2 and 1/2 for $1.89. Now I know that the 1/2 and 1/2 is $.80 cheaper at Aldi's than Top's. But I had to get it at Top's yesterday because we desperately needed it until I could get to Aldi's. That won't happen again. With two heavy coffee drinkers here this weekend, we ran out.

I have put the chicken in the refrigerator for a couple of days so that I can make some freezer meals from it and some ground beef recipes. I am awaiting some more Freezer Containers that I ordered yesterday. I have a few but not enough to send food to my neighbor who just had the new baby. When I freezer cook, I use these for some dishes and Ziploc bags for others.

The way I usually freezer cook is to make two casseroles when I am having one for dinner. I freeze the second. Bagged meal recipes are done the same way. I make enough for two meals and bag the second one for the freezer. Many times I just put marinade in the Ziploc and the chicken. Then when we pull it out of the freezer and thaw, Hubby cooks the chicken on the grill. 

The following are the meals that I find freeze very well and that I will pick from to make the meals for my neighbor. I will make a meal for her and one for us.

I have a favorite lasagna recipe that I throw together. I am sure everyone has their own favorite. Lasagna freezes very well

I use this Spaghetti Sauce  recipe all of the time. It is one of the easiest to make in the crock pot and it is frugal and delicious. Then I will make a batch of meatballs to add for each meal and freeze. I will give my neighbor a box of spaghetti to go with it and a loaf of Italian bread.

The other recipes I will pick from are tried and 
delicious favorites:

Chicken and Rice Casserole 

Chicken Cordon- Bleu Bake 

Hearty Jambalaya   

I leave the shrimp out of this one and I will cook some rice up for her and bag it for her to freeze also.

Slow Cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili 

I will be making this with ground beef because that is what I have in the freezer right now.

Five Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas 

To Die For Blueberry Muffins 

I will be making them a batch of these after dinner to bring over for breakfast tomorrow.

Other than shopping and planning the meals that I will take to my neighbor, I have cleaned two rooms today and done a load of wash in cold water. I am about to hang it to dry.

Our bean soup is cooking on low the second day and  it has really thickened up. It smells so good and will be dinner again tonight.

Tomorrow's post will be our end of the month expense report.

2 comments: