Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My Frugal Day

After a good night's sleep, I awoke at 6:15AM to get started on my frugal day. I took my navy shower which conserves on water and the energy to heat it, washed my hair with the last remnants of the shampoo, and brushed my teeth. Yes, I always brush my teeth in the shower. It's easy and I never forget. After flossing with yet another sample from my Dentist, I got dressed for the day in my 4 year old jeans and a 10 year old top. It looks like it is going to be a nice sunny day which is perfect for running my weekly errands.

While air drying my hair, I checked my e-mail and  blog comments and drank my one cup of coffee for the day. Then I shut down my desktop computer to save on energy. I will add to this post during the day with my tablet. 

I also put the ham bone, spices, and northern beans that I soaked over night into the crock pot. I added a little water to the mustard jar that was pretty much empty and shook it up and added it.  This will cook all day. If it is ready for dinner, we will have some. If not, we will have it tomorrow. 

I had more beans soaked than I needed so I bagged them for the freezer. They will be handy the next time I need beans for any kind of soup.  

We had some full wastebaskets from enjoying company this weekend. I quickly emptied all of them into a saved toilet paper plastic wrapper and threw them in the trash. I save all kinds of wrappers for garbage so that I don't have to buy as many bags during the year. I am also diligent about recycling everything that I can. Diligence allows us to use only one tall kitchen garbage bag a week.

Breakfast was fried ham, once over easy eggs, and Italian bread toast. The bread was leftovers from our Italian meal out last Friday night.

After double checking my errand list and making sure that I had my coupons, my bottles to return, and a package to ship, I was out the door.

My first stop was UPS to ship a package containing my DIL's tablet charger that she left here. I received a 5% discount for having AAA. I shipped it ground and it will arrive tommorrow. The UPS manager told me to always ship ground to this location because it gets there the next day anyhow. 

Next was a stop at Fast Cash to take two bags of cans and bottles to get my $.05 deposits back. I received $ 3.90.

Third stop was Dollar Tree to pick up the next 8 greeting cards that I need for $ .50 each. I also picked up 4 - 12.6 oz. Dawn Simply Dish Liquid that were $  .62 each after $ .75/2 coupons and a 24 oz. pkg. of elbow macaroni for $1.00.

My last stop was at Top's where I purchased a bag of Cheese Popcorn for my "big kid", 6 large cans of Furmano's diced tomatoes for $ .67 each after coupons, 4 Spice Classic spices for $ 1.00 each, 1 qt. of 1/2 and 1/2 for our coffee for $ 2.69, and 20 poppy seed rolls reduced for quick sale for $ 2.75 which I will freeze. But the best bargain was 7 Smithfield marinated pork tenderloins marked down from $ 8.99 each to $ 3.99 each. I did not see this deal in my ad! I stumbled on it so I don't know if it is just my store or not. People were grabbing them up like crazy. None of them expire before the end of April so it couldn't have been reduced for quick sale.
I  grabbed 7 of the flavors we like. Hubby was delighted since he loves to grill these outdoors. I also had 2- $ 1.00 off coupons for  any Smithfield product that I cut out of 2 magazines in the Drs. office  last week. So two of the tenderloins were $2.99. Because I spent over $20. on meat, I got 100 gas points added to my Top's card. The 6 cans of tomatoes and the 4 spices earned me another 100 gas points. 

Hubby has to pick up 2 prescriptions tomorrow so I am going to have him stop at Aldi's down the street and pick up $ 1.49 lb. chicken breasts and a pineapple for $ 1.29.

Lunch today was just an apple since we had such a big breakfast.

After lunch I checked my e-mail again to find a note from the mother of my neighbor next door. My neighbors had their first baby, a boy last night. She sent 5 pictures. He is so cute and I can't wait to meet him. So I spent some time this afternoon printing out a picture of their new baby boy and framing it. I will bring it over as a gift when I bring them a week's worth of meals after they come home. I always keep my eye out for cute clearance frames at stores or new ones at garage sales so that I have some for an occasion like this.

I also cleaned our two bathrooms today using homemade cleaners. The only store bought ones I use in the bathroom are the cheap denture tablets for cleaning the toilet bowls and hydrogen peroxide for any build up in the showers. I try to clean a couple of rooms a day so that the house is always clean. My spring cleaning is finished except to clean the windows and window tracks. I will be working on them a little at a time.

The soup was ready for an early dinner so that is what we ate. It is so yummy on a cold day.

I have been researching taxes in little increments of time since January. We have a lot of taxable income each year and I am trying every way I know how to minimize our tax liability. I have found a lot of things that we can do so that next year, we pay a lot less tax. I am only about 1/4 of the way through tax law. So I will be spending the evening researching some more of it. To most that would seem boring, but I like this kind of stuff.

Then it will be early to bed so that I will be rested for tomorrow. I took our electric blanket off our bed today and just put regular blankets on. It is getting warmer here so it was time. That will help reduce our electric bill.

2 comments:

  1. I like posts like this. You and I both know that lots of small things add up.
    You did great on your shopping.
    My son with 2 young daughters called this morning and came to spend the day with us. I knew my parents and other children would also drop in here to visit him and we also had our 10 month old grandson all day. So I thought real quick as to what I could feed everyone that would require minimal work time. We went to aldis and bought a pack of hot dogs for lunch -we had wieners in the freezer. I also got 2 large Aldi pizzas for supper and served it with leftover fruit and relish plate from Easter. I spent $11 total and feed 11 extra people through out the day.
    Everyone ate all they wanted and I got to play with my grands and I'm not regretting spending big bucks on takeout lunch or delivery pizza for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda,

      Thanks! Small things do add up bigtime! There are only so many big things that you can reduce.

      $11.00 for 11 people is phenomenal.Take out would have been a fortune. It's so easy to save money if you just think for a minute. You have that mastered.

      Delete