Monday, April 25, 2016

A Day In My Life

Rising at 7:15 AM, it was time to get dressed and take a mile and half walk. With that out of the way, I fixed breakfast while Hubby enjoyed his newspaper and coffee. We each have just one cup of coffee a day.

Hubby wanted a slice of homemade cranberry orange bread and some grapes. I wanted a hard boiled egg and some grapes. Simple and delicious. I made the bread yesterday since my son and grandson visited. I hard boil about 8 eggs at a time. Hubby likes them handy for egg salad and I like them anytime for snacks, breakfast, or lunch.  

After breakfast and putting the dishes in the dishwasher, I threw a load of towels in the HE washer on warm and then put them in the dryer. Towels are about the only thing that I use my dryer for. We don't like the feel of towels that have been hung.

Next, I checked my e-mail and wrote some responses. Then I checked our index funds to see how they have been doing the past month or so. After all of these years of investing, I don't get excited with the ups and downs of the market. We don't look at our funds every day. That would drive us crazy. Once a month is enough just to see where we are at. We are in it for the long term. 

After folding the towels and putting them away, I started to think about what I would do with the rest of my day. I had planned on washing the car but it is very dreary out and looks like it will rain so not a good day. That is best saved for a sunny, warm day. I thought about spraying the foundation of the house and the garage  with insect spray. But it looks like it may rain so not a good idea. I hate spiders and they are prevalent here.

So since my gray roots are coming in, I decided to color my hair. That will save me $55. Then it was time for a shower.

Hubby took the car to our local mechanic for it's yearly inspection. He wanted no lunch so I got out our trusty 1.5 cup cooker and made homemade mac and cheese for me.

It was just the right portion for  lunch. I love this little cooker so much that I purchased one for each of my son's and DIL's for their lunches. It also is the perfect size for making a portion for my grandson or granddaughter for their lunches. This mac and cheese was delicious!

Next it was time to go out in my lawn chair and read the new Redbook (free subscription) that came in the mail. 


While I was reading I heard a truck stop out front. It was the man who seals our driveway for us every 2 years. He stopped by to give us a quote and let us know that it is too cold yet but he will be be back to do it in about a month. I said fine. So we are on his schedule. 

Then Hubby came back and informed me that our SUV passed inspection just fine.

Hubby said he was going to watch some TV shows that he had recorded. I decided that since I don't feel very well today that I was going to take a nap. 


I must have needed that nap because I didn't wake up until after 5PM. I am not very hungry so Hubby is going to fix his dinner from this plate of leftover pork loin and roasted potatoes from dinner last night. Since he is not a very good vegetable eater, he will add some applesauce. If I need something later, I will have some apple wedges dipped in peanut butter. 

We will watch some TV tonight and I will go to bed early. I may have to record Castle.

There was nothing remarkable about our day and we have many days like this. So you are probably wondering what is the point of all of this.

My answer to you is "freedom". We didn't have to get up and commute to work, do what the bosses wanted all day long, then commute home, make dinner, eat it, watch a little TV, go to bed, and then start all over again the rest of the week. We can do whatever we want anytime we want. If we want to have a lazy day like today we can. If I am not feeling well, I can take a nap instead of going to work.

With summer coming if we want to take a few nice day trips or longer to Niagara Falls or Toronto, Canada, we can.  

Niagara Falls is only 40 minutes from us. We love going to see the Falls and eating at the restaurant at the top of the Skylon Tower .The view is incredible in the rotating dining room.        

Toronto is only about an hour and 15 minutes and there is a ton of things to do and see. We have been to N.F.'s many times and to both cities on our honeymoon. So we desire to see them both again. It will be interesting to see what has been built in Toronto in the last 49 years. They were building the National Art Centre back then. It would be nice to see it completed Perhaps we will stay a few days and just enjoy the city.  

We can do all of this when people are working and places aren't as crowded.

If we wake up to a nice sunny day, we can pack a picnic lunch and go enjoy Lake Erie or Lake Ontario. 

Our freedom is what we bought over the years and it was the best money we have ever spent. We continue to save and invest so that we can keep that freedom no matter what comes along.

Freedom is what you can have too by spending as little as possible each month and planning your financial freedom. Invest that money so that it makes money for you.   

You can even retire a lot younger than we did if you save 65-70% of your income. Don't believe me? Then take a look at this post from Mr. Money Moustache .
He has explained this much better than I ever could. He and many, many, young people are retiring early by buying their freedom.  

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better1
    So glad that you have the freedom to do what you want with your days. I hope that my husband and I will be able to retire early and enjoy that freedom too.
    Hope you have a wonderful time at Niagra falls and Canada! Sounds like a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. I wish the very best for you when you retire. You will love it.

      Delete
  3. Freedom is exactly what we feel and enjoy now that my husband is retired at 59.

    ReplyDelete