Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Little Cherry Picking and Rock Bottom Prices

Last night while I was chatting long distance with my sister, Hubby was making homemade macaroons in the kitchen. He surprised me with a plate of three. So that was dessert last night. My sister says she is coming to visit me. I am hoping so because I haven't seen her in about four years and I love her dearly. I am so excited!

Now that the roads have melted from our ice and snow storm, I ran errands this morning. After I picked up a prescription, I went to the Post Office in the city to mail a postage paid package.

Then it was on to Aldi's to get 2 cantaloupes(.99 each), 2 Veggie straws (my grandchildren love these), a package of hot dog rolls ($.85), 2 lbs. of northern beans and some Fit and Active plain yogurt for a total of $ 11.48. The rolls are for sausage sandwiches on night this week.

Next was Walmart to get a 10lb. bag of Krusteaz Buttermilk pancake mix. We love this mix and add blueberries and other fresh fruit for the best pancakes. I transfer it to two gallon jugs to keep it fresh. My baking powder expired so I needed a new one and WM has this the cheapest at $ 1.58. I also picked up Equate Acid Reducer Complete which is exactly the same as Pepcid Complete without the high price. Total was $ 18.98.

My last stop was Top's where I picked up 3 dozen large eggs for $ .99 each. Total was $ 2.79 with my 6% senior discount. They don't expire until May 9 so that was a bonus. We go through a lot of eggs between breakfasts, snacks and baking.

Before I left Top's parking lot, I called Hubby to see if he wanted me to bring home something for lunch. So I picked up two 10 pc. chicken Mcnuggets and a large fry for us to share. Total was $ 8.20.

Before I left home, I had some oatmeal with a sliced banana and my cup of coffee. I make the oatmeal in the microwave. 

Dinner tonight will be the leftover chicken enchilada casserole which we will heat in the microwave.

All of my shopping is done for the week. I picked up the great deal which was the eggs and then purchased the other items that I needed at the places where my price book shows me they are the cheapest. 

So saving in the kitchen starts with buying at the lowest prices. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, great deals! You did an awesome job shopping.
    Hope that you have a wonderful visit with your sister. Definitely something to look forward to,and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. I am so excited and looking forward to her coming.

      Delete
  2. I love cherry picking as a way to keep things stocked up. I try to keep aside a little cash should "something to good to pass up" crop up during the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well on your shopping. I noticed that you had acid reducer on your list. I used to have horrible problems with acid reflux and heartburn and was on meds for it. After doing some research, I found that apple cider vinegar worked even better and lasted longer than the meds. You just take some in water and it helps so much. It took me about a week of doing it to get rid of the acid reflux whenever I felt it coming on. Now I only get it once in awhile and taking the apple cider vinegar wipes it out immediately. I take it straight with no water but I know that some people will add some honey to the water and vinegar to help them be able to handle the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip on the apple cider vinegar. I always have some in the house. I only take one of the tablets about once a month when I have a problem. I will try the vinegar next time and see if it works.

      Delete