Friday, April 15, 2016

It's Time To Wash The Windows Frugally

It was a gorgeous sunset last night so I knew if would be beautiful today. It will be getting up into the 60's. Since tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be even warmer, the windows are saying to me " Wash Me!"

It is not an easy chore for us but something that must be done. We have 21 windows with screens that need to be washed in the main part of our home. Most of them are the same or larger than the ones pictured. We also have 6 basement windows without screens and 2 windows with screens in our shed. If we are going to do them, we might as well do them all.

They are so filthy from the winter. Now that the sun is shining through them almost everyday, I can see how bad they are. All of that dirt from the winter, especially in the window tracks where it seems to accumulate. Yuck!

So today and the next few days that is what I will be doing.  My equipment that I use are a squeegee, sponge, microfiber cloths and a bucket of homemade solution. 

For years I struggled with what was the best way to do windows. I finally decided that washing and a squeegee for the outside and then drying them was the best. Inside I use a microfiber cloth and the solution and then dry them. I also use the same solution to clean the tracks and dry them with the cloths. The screens are taken out and power washed.
As I said, it is not an easy job and very time consuming. So I am hoping that I can get them done in three days. I am not as young as I used to be.

I have often thought about hiring someone to do them. However it would cost me over $700. I am not about to pay that for a job that I can do myself even if it takes me a long time to do them. 

Here is my homemade washing solution that I use:

4 cups of water
2/3 cup of vinegar
1 teaspoon of Dawn dish liquid

I suppose you could use any dish liquid but I find that Dawn works well for me. I have been using this recipe for years and it leaves clean streak free windows. It sure beats buying Windex.

Well, I have to gather my equipment, make my solution and get out the ladder and start my chore. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. 

BTW, dinner tonight will be shrimp cocktails and a tossed salad. I have 4 bags of cooked shrimp in the freezer to use up. This will be an easy dinner after a hard day of work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment