Monday, April 11, 2016

To Stockpile Or Not To Stockpile

Over the weekend, I  thought a lot about our stockpile of food. We have two full pantries in our kitchen and a pantry in the basement. We also have two freezer drawers in our French door refrigerator and a chest freezer in the basement. We are only two people.

By tracking the sales, most things go on sale in my area about every 12 weeks. The exceptions are the great turkey and ham sales and other Thanksgiving items, legs of lamb and ham at Easter and corned beefs for St. Patrick's Day.  I will also stockpile a large quantity of toilet paper and personal care products when I see a great sale.

So I have been asking myself, do I really need to stockpile a year's worth of food? I have some freeze dried food, rice, oatmeal, pasta and cans of vegetables, milk, and meat that would last us a year in case of a catastrophe.  So I no longer think it is necessary to stockpile anything else unless I will use it within 3 months. 

Our decision has been made for a couple of reasons.
It takes a lot of time and energy to track what is in our stockpile so that nothing goes to waste.  Three  months worth would be much easier.

Secondly, every time I look at our large stockpile I see dollars that just sit for months doing nothing. Those dollars could be used to invest and make money instead of sitting on a shelf for up to a year making zero. If I accidentally waste that food because it expires, I might as well put our money down the drain. If I cut back to three months worth of food, I will still get great sale prices but put the rest of the money to work. So that is our plan.

So from this day forward, we will be working on using up everything in the pantries and freezers that will in the end leave us with three months worth of food. I will still buy fresh fruits and vegetables that will get used up during the current week. Dairy products will also be on our must buy list. But not much else.

In order to know EXACTLY what is in those pantries and freezers, I am going to take a new inventory this week and arrange things so that we can lay our hands on any item with a minimum of effort. We have gotten sloppy with crossing things off of our inventory list lately. 

I am starting today with our two freezer drawers in our refrigerator. I will emptying them,wiping out the drawers and then stocking them back up with the next few weeks' meal items. This will mean trading some items for items in the basement freezer. I have had a tendency lately to throw whatever I have purchased in those drawers- like 7 pork tenderloins. Time to get organized.  I will keep you updated on my progress. 

The first thing I am going to do though is take the last large turkey out of our basement freezer and put it in the refrigerator to thaw. I want to get that roasted before we turn the heat off. Since we are supposed to start warming up the end of this week, that means I need to cook it within the next few days. 

If any of you need to do this, join me. Then you too  can put your money that is just sitting to work for you too.

8 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to stockpile more...I would love to have 3 months of food. I think that would give me some peace of mind knowing that I would have food available in case of emergency. So while I won't be joining in this challenge, I look forward to hearing how you use up some of your stockpile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      I will show you along the way.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a spreadsheet or a form to keep track of your inventory? I need something like that that I can cross off when I use something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle,

      Here you go:

      http://frugalliving.about.com/library/pdfs/FreezerInventorybw.pdf

      Delete
  3. Ever the quest to get and keep organized. Your plans sounds good. We are sitting at about a three month supply so we're where we want to be for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozy,

      That's great! You are where I want to be.

      Delete
  4. My hubby and I were just talking about trying to do this same thing. We need to eat down what is in the freezer to make room for the upcoming gardening season and also before stuff in there goes bad. We recently went through and organized that pantry with the deep shelving and boy do we have a lot of beans and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      Good luck with your quest to eat it up. I will be cheering you on.

      Delete