Friday, April 8, 2016

We Went Out For Dinner...........At Home

A steak is what we wanted for dinner. Our favorite place to go to dinner for steak is:

 Russell's Steakhouse 

We go there once or twice a year for a great steak dinner. With tip and wine, we never pay less than $ 150. for the two of us.  I would have loved to have gone but a few things stopped me. I knew that I had strip steaks in the freezer and that I could make just as nice a dinner a whole lot cheaper. When we have a goal to save money this year, I convinced Hubby that we could have a terrific dinner at home.

So I thawed two very tender strip steaks, grabbed a bottle of wine to chill and went to the produce market to get two baking potatoes and some fresh asparagus. I thawed a few strawberries that were in the freezer and cut the cantaloupe for dessert.   

Hubby took care of cooking the strip steaks on our indoor grill. I baked the potatoes, sauteed fresh mushrooms in butter, cooked the asparagus, and made the hollandaise sauce.  At the table, I poured each of us a glass of red wine and a glass of ice water. We added our own butter and sour  cream to our baked potatoes after we sat down.

We enjoyed our entree with candlelight in our beautiful dining room.  Then, after our meal settles, we will enjoy our dessert while playing a few games of Yahtzee. The best part for me is that Hubby is doing all of the dishes and pots and pans.

I wanted to show you that you can have a nice meal at home and not spend a fortune. Our dinner for both of us including wine cost us $12.28. We didn't spend $ 137.22 plus tax and 29 miles of gasoline by staying home. The steaks were cut from a whole strip loin that I purchased a while ago for $ 5.99 a lb. The mushrooms were free from a friend. Everything else was bought very cheaply. The glasses of wine were from a 1.5 liter bottle  that ended up costing us $4.99 after rebate.

So the next time you are tempted to go out for a special dinner see if you can replicate it at home for a whole lot cheaper.    

6 comments:

  1. We do this a lot too! And I love Yahtzee, it's my favorite game. What a fun date night for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rozy,

    We are having a great time tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! What a great date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks good! I love being able to recreate our favorite restaurant deals home for a fraction of the price also.

    ReplyDelete