Thursday, April 21, 2016

Why I Write For You

Someone recently asked me why I write this blog. They said they would never do it unless they could make money from doing it because it takes so many hours.

We had a long discussion about it and today I will share my reasons why I write. 

First, I love to write and always have. I remember a teacher in school telling me  that she was sure I would write someday. I don't know whether she thought I would be a journalist or an author. She would be surprised if she was still alive to see me blogging. The word didn't even exist back then.    

I does take a lot of time out of my day. Sometimes it takes 4 hours or longer to write a post, take and edit the pictures, and double check it at least twice to make sure spelling, punctuation, etc. is correct. Even though I spend a lot of time doing this, sometimes the final copy has errors. But I am only human. 

The thinking process pretty much comes natural to me because I am always thinking how to tweak my own money process. The writing is easier because I just write the way I see things and 100% of what you see is what we do here.

It's easy to write when you are writing about your own life. So many things I do give me the post of the day.

But one of the main reasons I write is because when I was starting along my path to financial independence, there was no mentor for me. I had to dig and research at the library for everything that I wanted to learn. My mother nor my grandparents taught me. The only thing I learned in school was to save a few pennies a week with a bank book that I brought to school every week which in turn went to the bank with the deposits and then were returned to us for the next week's deposit. I was never able to withdraw that money when I got older because my Mom took the money out for something that was desperately needed.

Growing up I did notice some money things. My mother had credit cards that she used regularly for things that we needed. She paid a lot of interest on those credit cards because she only made small  payments on them. My grandmother seemed to have money all of the time that she hoarded. As I learned in later years, this was money my mother gave her to take care of us while Mom worked and to provide the extra food for the three of us. Mom told me  that Grandma took most of her paycheck for doing this. So Mom charged things that we or she needed.

We did not go without food or the basics but there were not many luxuries. My mom wore shoes with holes in the bottom so that she could buy us clothes. I remember Mom telling me that she was going to buy me a new coat. I told her that my hand me down coat was fine for another season. I told her to go buy a warm coat for herself because she was the one who had to take two buses in the cold and snow to get to work. Little things like these that I noticed helped make me who I am today. Now you know where I get my aversion to credit card interest.

When Hubby and I got married, we did not have a lot of money. I had gone to college for my accounting degree and learned  that it was important to take care of your money. I didn't work when we first got married. Hubby worked days and went to college nights so I had  a lot of time on my hands. Hence, I spent hours in the library looking up information on money and how to save it. I read every article in a newspaper or magazine that I saw on personal finances. I learned how to cook but most importantly how to cook and shop frugally. We spent $ 20. - $ 25. for a week's worth of groceries for years. When we bought our first home and then had children, I fed all 4 of us on $ 40. a week back in the 70's. I washed diapers for both kids instead of using Pampers all of the time. Every little way that I could make our money go further, I did so that we could invest at the end of the month. In the little bit of spare time that Hubby had, he maintained our car and our property.

With all of the researching and reading, I learned pretty quickly how to save a lot of money and how to invest that money. Neither one of us have never stopped learning even after almost 49 years. Hubby and I have put all of the info that we have learned to good use over these many years.

So I write to share what we have learned with you. I put it in this forum so that you can look for what you need in one place. At least that is what I invision after I have written for many years.

Many of you who suspected that I used to blog were correct. I am not mentioning who I was or what my blogs were for a few reasons. I had someone stalking me and at my age and that was a very scary thing. Secondly, I got very tired of the rotten comments that the trolls would leave on the blog. This is why I have always read my comments before I publish them. I still do and some that I have not deemed appropriate are never published. So if you can't be civil, just want to cause trouble, or want to meddle in our American elections when you aren't even an American don't waste your time. I control the delete button. 

I will never monetize my blog. I like a nice uncluttered blog with good information without ads.
I also want to be able to control my own content. And I never want to get so big that I have to hire other people to write for me because then the blog would not be really be mine. Nor would I want to always be selling something. I might write about a rebate site once in a while and use my referral link but that is about it.  I want to keep my blog genuine. 

Most importantly, I write for you. If you learn just one thing that helps you along your money journey, I feel good. Then I feel like it has all been worth it.

I would also like to leave this blog as a legacy to my grandchildren so that they have more money knowledge when they marry and have their families than I started out with. I love my grandchildren with all of my heart so I do this with love for them.    

11 comments:

  1. I am glad you love to write and are able to do so in this form!
    I also appreciate you sharing your knowledge of finances and ways to implement them into our households.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you write your blog. What a wonderful legacy for your grandchildren too.
    Thank you1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to share all the great info. I appreciate all you do!! Thanks, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking your time to write this blog. I enjoy reading about the frugal things you do to make your grocery budget stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all that you do. I have learned a lot from you and I really do appreciate all the time and effort you put into your blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leaving this blog for your grandchildren is an excellent and important way to spend your time and energy. I am sure they will appreciate your wisdom and be grateful to have the guidance. I am glad the rest of us get to benefit from it as well. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enid, Kathy, Janie, Ellie, Debbie & Anonymous,

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also enjoy your blog. I look forward to reading your blog daily. There is always something new to learn. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,

      Thanks so much for your kindness.

      Delete
  9. Hi AD, this is Chris. I didn't realize you had someone stalking you. That is scary. I enjoy your blog so much and am SO happy to see you writing again. I have learned so much from you, and have been encouraged so much by your writings to continue living my frugal lifestyle. And I still remember the kindness you showed to our kitten. She is 3 1/2 now and her eyes are stable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      I am happy to be back blogging too. I am so glad that your kitten is doing well.

      Delete