Friday, May 27, 2016

A Memorial Day Feast




Memorial Day weekend is finally here. Memorial Day is a Federal holiday for remembering the men and women who served in the armed forces. Many of us also visit cemeteries to visit and leave flowers on our family member's graves who have passed away.
  
Almost everyone this weekend will have some kind of cookout(or inside if you don't have a grill). We will enjoy ours on Monday.

There are so many holidays during the year where a lot of money can be spent on the feast. But this is one where, if you so wish, you can entertain a crowd frugally. 

Over the past couple of weeks I have seen hot dogs for $1.00 a lb. or my preference of 3 lbs. of Sahlen's hot dogs for $ 6.99 and hamburger for $ 2.29 a lb. Hamburg and hot dog rolls have been $ .69 each. Ketchups, mustards, and relishes have all been on sale. There may or may not be coupons for those sales too. I just get mine at Aldi's or B.J.'s.

Almost every kind of beer that you can think of has been on sale. If you don't serve beer, you can make a punch with or without alcohol for reasonably cheap. I personally like to make lemonade which is another alternative that isn't costly.


Potato and macaroni salads are inexpensive especially when you can get Hellman's mayonnaise for $2.00 each after coupon. I have stocked enough Hellman's mayonnaise this week for the next year. I checked my stockpile and found that I had two. So I bought four more. None of them expire until the end of July next year. Better yet if a guest asks what they can bring, assign them a salad.

Sweet corn this week was 3 for $1.00 at Top's.

Add a few bags of chips purchased on sale or from Aldi's to your feast.

For dessert, cake or cupcakes are frugal to make from a mix or from scratch. You can also make popsicles for the kids. I always have a bin of pudding or jello boxes that I can make them from. The other thing I do is save leftover fruit juices from cans to make them.

I estimate that I can serve a feast for 10 people for about $40.00. I could do it for under $34.00 if my guests bring salads.

So entertaining for a holiday like this one, the 4th of July, or Labor Day does not have to break the bank. It can be done frugally. You can have a wonderful time while enjoying your company, eat well and know that you haven't broken your budget.

So I wish you all a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  Remember the veterans.  Enjoy your families and friends. Watch your children around water and if you are traveling, have a safe trip. I will be back posting on Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great weekend!
    We are going camping to make some happy memories. I probably spent more than I should have on food, but this will probably be the only time we get to go camping with my brother and his family so I am going to enjoy it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's called intentional spending! Enjoy it and your camping trip with your brother and his family.

      Delete
  2. We certainly remember the veterans at our house--my husband is a retired Marine, our daughter served four years in the Air Force, and our oldest son is currently in the Marine Reserves. Besides that, both our fathers served during WWII, my brothers all served in the military, and many uncles and cousins too. We love ALL veterans living and gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rozy! Please thank all of them for us and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete