Monday, May 9, 2016

No Takeout Here

It's been a rough few days since I got sick. I  cough all night unless I sit up to sleep. I seem to be getting better slowly but surely. Nothing zaps my energy like a bad cold and sinus illness. 

I am a tough cookie. To prove it, here is an example. I have had two knee replacements and was up shopping after each at 8 days and doing marathon shopping and lunch with my DIL after 14 days. I never had rehab nor did I take pain pills just Tylenol. My surgeon was amazed. I always can do whatever I set my mind to.

But for some reason, colds always beat me up. I have been in bed for days. I had to have Hubby stock on Kleenex and I am on my 5th box. It's ridiculous!

But the one thing that we have not resorted to is take out food. That would have been easy but expensive and not very healthy for me right now. They say to feed a cold and starve a fever so Hubby has been making sure I get fed. That hasn't been easy because I have no real appetite. He has made me chicken soup, ice cream, French toast, a pork loin dinner and eggs and bacon and other things. I ate the chicken soup for days. It always tastes so good when I am sick.

Hubby told me yesterday that he would cook me whatever I wanted for dinner or he would get take out. I told him no takeout. I have cravings for food that I will actually eat. Knowing that there was a jumbo bag of shrimp in the freezer, I asked him if we could have shrimp and cocktail sauce. I was also craving something sweet. So he found a recipe and made me a blueberry cobbler. The little bit that is leftover is shown above.  So that is what my Mother's Day dinner consisted of and it was just fine.

Yes, we had plans to celebrate Mother's Day but they had to be cancelled. My son and grandson were coming as they always do on Sundays but I told them not to come. I didn't want them to catch whatever it is I have nor was I up to company. My son, DIL, and granddaughter in eastern NY sent a gorgeous orchid and a box of fine chocolates. I had phone calls from both boys but couldn't talk with them long because talking just gets me into coughing fits.

I am not telling you all this because I want you to feel sorry for me. But because I want you to realize that you don't have to run for takeout and waste a lot of money on unhealthy food when you are sick. If you have a Hubby or child at home who can handle a little bit of cooking that works. If I hadn't had Hubby, I would have had fruit and cheese and salads. Just something to keep my strength up.     

Now I need a favor from all of you. Hubby has gotten me medicine at the drugstore but none of it seems to work. I have used Sudafed, all kinds of Advil and Dayquil. What I need is something to suppress the coughing and something to dry up my head. I know I don't need to get antibiotics because I have no signs of an infection. Do you have any ideas on what might work to do those two things? What works for you?

I hope to be back to normal blogging soon but I will do what I feel up to this week. 

I hope all of you had lovely Mother's Days yesterday.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well. I too, ended up sick in bed all weekend. Thankfully, we're all beginning to feel better again.

    To dry up, please try Wal-Act (red box) from the Walgreens Pharmacy counter. I swear by this stuff, cause it normally dries me up completely within 2 days. I too suffer from allergies (sinus & hayfever) and get really bad colds. But Wal-act (costs around $8 here) works fast for me, so I don't even bother to use anything else. Be sure to take it at night, because it contains sleep aid.

    Happy Belated Mother's Day to you. Those flowers are gorgeous. I can't get enough of the beautiful color.

    Hope you feel better soon and that you'll regain your appetite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pubbler,

      Thanks so much. I hope you are better. I sent Hubby to find that medicine and my drugstore didn't have it. He talked to the pharmacist and described my symptoms. She told him to get me Mucinex Sinus Max. It's working. I was actually able to get a little cleaning done today.

      Thanks for sharing. The next time I go to the Walgreens in another town, I will look for it there to keep in my medicine stash.

      Delete
  2. I read online somewhere that bendryl can be used for colds so i tried that on a few colds and it worked pretty good. The only downside is that you get sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Amanda. Benadryl was the first thing I tried when I first got sick and it didn't work. I am glad it works for you.

      Delete
  3. Nyquil, as much as it takes (any generic one) plus a really strong cough drop. May have sinus infection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have Nyquil in my stash now.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry that you have been so sick. I'm glad that your hubby was there to take care of you. The cobbler looks delicious, and the flower is beautiful. I hope that you will be able to celebrate Mother's day with your son when you feel better.
    Have you tried mucinex? It seemed to help my boy when he was sick, but I don't think he was as sick as you are now. Do hope you feel better. Get some rest, and try to drink as much as you can. Don't worry about blogging, we will be here when you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks for your good wishes. I am looking forward to seeing my son this weekend.

      I actually am taking Mucinex Sinus Max now. Started it yesterday and I am feeling so much better today.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you are not feeling well. My Nana always made us HOney, lemon and a white of an egg. She would mix it up with a hand mixer. Sorry I don;t know the amounts. Maybe try one egg, and a teaspoon of the other two ingredients? It really helped our coughs.

    Good luck and hope you feel better very soon.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janie,

      I never heard of that. Thanks. I have copied the recipe for future reference. Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  6. I just found your blog today while visiting a blog we have in common,,I'm sorry to hear you were ill for Mothers Day,, so am I,, I have a nasty cold,, I'm only on my first box of kleenex, day three lol,, I haven't taken anything yet but I did put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in my ears, its suppose to shorten a cold,, I hope it works because our family has had this cold and its nasty, week two for my daughters family,,, so,, I'm not help with a medicine, I'm steaming, drinking lots of hot water with lemon and honey, thats all I've done so far, take care,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie,

      I sure hope you feel better soon. I can sure sympathize. I am tucking your tips away for the future. What is finally helping me is I started Mucinex Sinus Max yesterday. I feel 50 % better today. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. I'm no doctor, but these are my recommendations. Delsym cough syrup. Works like a charm. Kind of pricey, but totally worth it. Also, if you live in a dry climate like I do or need to heat your home, use a humidifier. I used to get awful coughs that kept me up much of the night until I started using one, along w/Delsym.

    Congestion? Peppermint essential oil, or chew strong mints.

    If I were you, I would go to the dr. esp if your symptoms worsen or last longer than 7 days. You could be developing a secondary infection. Your health is the best investment you have! Hugs for a quick recovery, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa,

      I had never heard of Delsym. I have that on my future list. We do have a humidifier on our furnace and our heat is still on. So Delsym and peppermint are on my list thanks to you sharing.

      Thanks for the hugs too.

      Delete