Monday, May 23, 2016

Three Homemade Recipes That I Use

Aj asked me for a few homemade recipes so I will give you the soap ones today. I will post the yogurt one the next time I make it.

Right now I am using up a stockpile of dishwasher soap that I got for pennies. But I also have a jar of my homemade, which is pictured, that I usually use:

2 cups of Borax
2 cups of washing soda
2 cups baking soda

Mix well and use 1 tablespoon per load.

Homemade Laundry Detergent:

1 bar of soap grated
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of oxi clean
  
Mix all well. I use 2 Tbsp. per load. For years I was afraid to use this in my HE washer for fear it would ruin my very expensive machine. But when the washer got to be 9+ years, I decided it was getting old anyhow. I also decided that it really didn't have any ingredients in it that would hurt the washer. This mixture cleans the clothes really well and I have had no issues with my machine. Some people swear by Ivory soap. Yes that works well but so do other soaps. Since I have 80+ bars of soap, I will use any I have. I also use store bought when I can get it under $ .50 a bottle. That doesn't happen very often. I had a Sam's Club gift card that was a gift so I bought a huge container of All Free and Clear recently. But when that is gone, I will be back to making the homemade. 

Liquid Hand Soap:

1 bar of grated soap dissolved in a gallon of boiling water. This only takes a couple of minutes. Remove it from the heat and stir it about every 5 minutes. Let it cool a little and pour it into your soap containers. It makes a lot so if you don't have a lot of dispensers, pour it into some canning jars or leftover jars from food until you need it. You can add 1 tsp. of essential oil if you want after the soap is dissolved but it isn't necessary.

I have made this many times. But right now, I am using up nearly free Method Hand Soap that I got a buy on.

All of the recipes work really well to clean the dishes, laundry, and your hands. I use them on and off depending on what the price of store bought is. When my store bought is gone, I will be making all homemade since I have so many bars of soap in the house.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes! I had been hesitant about trying homemade laundry detergent since I have a HE washer too. Glad that it works ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the recipes. I will definitely be trying these! Glad you had fun with family and got so much done over the weekend too! After family visits I savor any quiet time. It is fairly rare with my toddler, but I get to read during his nap. Thanks for the Mr Momey Mustache mention- his writing style entertains me. I always learn something new! Can't wait to see your yogurt recipe.

    ReplyDelete