Thursday, May 26, 2016

Yes, I Do Make Mistakes

After all the years of running our household like a business, I still make mistakes. My intuition and my husband warned me. But I didn't listen.

For two years I have been researching dehydrators. Since I make homemade trail mix a lot, I was hoping that using one would save me on all of the dehydrated fruit that I buy to make it. This is the one that I truly have had my eye on:

Dehydrator 

However, I couldn't justify the cost and the payback time. We don't usually plant a large garden and this year we have decided not to plant one at all. Instead we are transplanting 5 maple trees that seeded themselves and are doing quite well into our container pots. When they get larger, we will plant them near our side property line. Hubby has a green thumb when it comes to trees.


Over the almost 49 years that we have been married, we have usually never purchased the cheapest item that we are looking for nor the most expensive. We have always bought somewhere in the middle. Sure there have been some exceptions like our French door refrigerator or our HE's( which we got a great deal on used) and our SUV. But most of the time, we buy in the middle. And that has worked out well for us. 

So last week, when I saw a dehydrator that looked like a great bargain from one of the online shopping networks, I pounced on it. It had a company behind it whose products I have loved. It was on a special price that had been reduced by $30. I questioned at the time why it would be reduced by so much, unless they were retiring it and a new model was coming out. So I ended up paying about $40. plus tax and shipping.

Hubby warned me that it might not be such a bargain. But I didn't listen and ordered it anyway. I should have taken his suggestion but I was excited that I would finally have a dehydrator.

Yesterday when it was delivered, I couldn't wait to open it and try it out. I had a large bunch of bananas to try it out on.

Can you imagine my disappointment when I opened the box and found the top cracked? It also was packed very tightly in a box. As it slid out of the box, I immediately saw the crack. I was so disappointed.

But I called the shopping show to see what they would do about it. They had no more, so they couldn't replace it. I was given three options. I could return it via UPS and they would refund my money including my shipping. I could keep it for 60 days to see if they offered it again. Or I could call the company and use the warranty.

Read the last option again. Why would I use the warranty and make the company pay for something that was shipped to me broken? It is clearly not their fault. It is either the fault of the shopping show or UPS or the Post Office since they both handled it. I will go with the shopping show since it was packed very tightly in a box that I believe was pretty flimsy. I believe that using the warranty and making the company replace it is dishonest. It was shipped from one of the shopping show's warehouses.

So I am bringing it to UPS today and returning it with their postage paid label. I have been told that they will refund everything I have paid for it including shipping but not until they receive it. Through experience with my last return, that will be about 2 weeks from now if I return it today. So the only thing I am out is my gas to UPS to return it and the use of my money for about three weeks since it was billed last Saturday. To defray the cost of the gas. I will run other errands on my way to or from UPS.

But I have again learned a lesson. If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. The unit which was made in China, in my estimation was cheaply made, and if I had seen it on a store shelf for the same price, I would not have purchased it.

If Hubby isn't happy with the item, don't order it. Everything came together in a way that is almost an omen that I shouldn't have ordered it to begin with.
So a lesson learned again for me. 

Sometimes you have to spend more money to get quality that will last. I know this and have for years. So it remains up in the air as to whether I will get the expensive dehydrator that I mentioned above. I just can't justify the cost for the amount of fruit I would dehydrate. The payback would be forever.  

So the other option is to cut back on the amount of dried fruit that I use. Or I can only use raisins and watch for a great sale when I buy them. This looks like the best option to me.

I know that I will not be buying a cheap dehydrator anytime soon. And this great purchase that I couldn't wait to tell you about, wasn't so great. So lesson learned again.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work out, but I'm glad you will get your money back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I hope you have a great holiday weekend.

      Delete