Monday, June 13, 2016

Frugal Things

Here is my list of frugal things that we have done in the past 10 days or so:

- Purchased a used game and an additional controller for our Wii for the grandchildren at Game Stop. I paid 1/2 the price of what they would have cost new. Now two of us can play at a time without switching the one controller back and forth.

- The majority of our meals have been from scratch. Most have been grilled outside.

- I made two loaves of wheat bread for sandwiches.

- Did three loads of wash in the HE washing machine with cold water and minimal soap. Hung the clothes to dry.

- I love having flowers in my home. So I very often buy a bouquet at Aldi's or Top's. But now that our flowers are blooming, I have been cutting them to bring inside. My grandson helped me cut these peonies today. I can't remember the name of the purple flower that I stuck in the peonies. We have already gone through iris and lilacs. My yellow roses are starting to bloom and then all the lilies will blossom along with all of our rose of sharon. With the exception of a hanging basket every year we buy no annuals. Everything in our yard is a perennial. That saves us the $ 80. to $ 120. that we used to spend on annuals every year.

- Instead of going swimming yesterday, my grandson was just as happy to run from one sprinkler to another for two hours. We have a sprinkler system which comes on in zones. So he would always have 3 sprinklers come up at a time. He thought it was cool to follow the zoned sprinklers around the house as they moved. Lots of fun for him since we had to water the lawn anyhow.

- He and I also golfed out on the lawn so that we could avoid going to the mini golf course. I wanted to keep an eye on Hubby as much as I could. 

- Hubby and he are bowling on the Wii as I speak. So much fun. Many years ago, before our grandchildren were born, my son won this Wii. They already had one so they gave it to us. Today the grandchildren get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

- We also have played many card games of War and 
Crazy Eights this weekend. Entertainment does not have to be expensive.

- I made two loaves of pumpkin bread to give as a  hostess gift.

- I cut two pairs of jeans down to shorts for me. I have very few shorts but lots of worn jeans.

- I shined all of the shoes in the house that needed it.

- My grandson weeded the entire two patios of weeds that grow between the cracks. I offered to pay him but he said no. He said he was happy to do it for all of the games for the Wii that I had purchased over the past couple of weeks.

- We had a fire in the outside fireplace and toasted marshmallows.

- I updated my inventory of meat, shrimp and fish, in the freezer. It's easier to know what meals you can make when you know what you have.

- I desperately needed makeup so purchased it at Rite Aid today with a sale and a $ 2.00 off coupon.

- Cleaned our Jacuzzi tub with baking soda and water.

- Been walking most days for exercise.

- Made homemade lemonade and homemade iced tea.

- We had homemade strawberry popsicles.

- I made a bunch of blueberry pancakes that lasted almost a week for breakfasts.

- We have also been eating a lot of oatmeal with bananas or berries.

- I chatted with a friend using our free long distance.

- I used insecticide to spray the foundation wall of the house and the garage to keep the majority of bugs out. It is a lot cheaper to do it yourself rather than hire a service.

- I got a $5.00 Amazon Gift Card from Bing Rewards. 

That is about all that I can remember. What have you done frugally lately?
  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week! Glad your grandson loved the wii games. So sweet that he weeded the patio without wanting pay.
    Hope your husband is doing well.

    ReplyDelete