Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1st Intentional Spending Challenge

Today is my errand day. I keep a list of errands at all times that need to be run. Today's list consisted of grocery and drugstore shopping. So after drinking my 1 cup of coffee while I wrote my blog post this morning, I looked through the Sunday ads to see what was on sale after I carefully thought about what we needed. I also checked the match ups for Top's this week. I determined that I am just low on fresh vegetables and eggs.

Before I went out, I fixed breakfast for us which consisted of toasted poppy seed rolls, some grapes, and a small glass of water. The rolls were getting old and needed to be used up.

Since fresh corn is on sale at Top's for 3 for $1.00 again this week, I purchased 6. But not wanting to pass up this deal, I also purchased 2 Coffeemate Creamers for $ .17 each after Q. We mostly drink 1/2 and 1/2 but when creamer is this cheap, I will buy as many as I have coupons for. I also need eggs so I purchased those with a Top's Super Coupon for $ .79 and got an Ibotta $.25 rebate. Some of the ice cream deals were good this week and I was tempted but decided that they were not a necessity.

Next on my trip was Dollar Tree and then Save-A-Lot which are in the same strip mall. I picked up 2 of the True Lemon with 2 $1.00 Q's and 1 bottle of Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for Hubby's beard at Dollar Tree. I use the True Lemon to clean the dishwasher. Then I walked to Save-A-Lot and purchased 6 -12 oz. packages of Sugardale Bacon for $ 2.00 each. We go through a lot of bacon on Sundays when my son and grandson come for breakfast. I have not seen that low a price in months and months. So I got the limit of 6.

My last stop was Rite Aid where I picked up 5 prescriptions. It's very unusual that Hubby and I would have so many scripts need to be refilled at the same time but it is better to make less trips and use less gasoline. The total for the prescriptions( which are 90 day refills)was $166.08. Expensive but necessary. Since it was senior day, I also got the above free samples.

My grocery total for all of the above groceries and shampoo was $ 16.37 and I am getting a $.25 rebate.   

Lunch was ham and cheese sandwiches.

I made homemade BBQ sauce because Hubby grilled chicken outside tonight for dinner and I made corn on the cob and a fresh salad to go with it.We ended up saving the salads for lunch tomorrow. Here is the recipe if anyone would like it:

1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Celery Seed
1/4 c. Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Vinegar 
1/4 c. Worcestershire Sauce
1 c. Ketchup
2 c. Water
3 drops of Tabasco or Frank's Hot Sauce

Mix and bring to a boil in saucepan. If you like it thicker, you can thicken it with a little cornstarch mixed in cold water. Let it boil for a couple of minutes more so that you can't taste the cornstarch. Then let it cool. Hubby slathers it on and then brushes more on every time he turns it and we also use a little at the table.

I always make a double batch and keep it in canning jars in the fridge. It keeps well and we use a lot of it over the summer. It is so much tastier and cheaper than the stuff you buy in a bottle at the market.

Hubby is out power washing all of the dirt, stones, etc. out of the driveway. We are having our driveway sealed tomorrow and he wants to be ready. I watered my hanging basket. My peonies have huge buds this year so the flowers ought to be gorgeous. 

I intentionally spent and mailed bills today for $93.91
for our sprinkler repairs last week and $ 30.82 for our alarm system monitoring for the month of June.

All of the money that we spent today was intentional and necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading about your day. Sounds like you got some great deals on the bacon and creamer too. Thanks for the recipe; we do love our bbq here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. You are welcome for the recipe. I hope you like it as much as we do. It is my Hubby's Moms recipe. She taught me how to make it.

      Delete