Thursday, June 2, 2016

June 2nd Intentional Spend Challenge

Today is the day that we were planning on intentionally spending $ 75.00 to have our driveway sealed. The same elderly man who has done it for years is doing it. He does a great job. I think he is older than Hubby. But Hubby has a very bad back so it would be difficult for him to do it. Besides Hubby says it would cost him more than that to buy the sealer at retail prices. However, it is raining here so he cancelled. He will give us a day's notice when he reschedules.

I am actually happy that it is raining today. We have had to water every other morning since the sprinkler system was repaired. We badly needed the rain. 

This morning I made Italian dressing. It seems my bottled supply has run out. It's easy using the dressing in this recipe:

Italian Dressing 

I wanted the dressing to go on pasta salad for dinner. I have been craving it. So I made it this morning and it is in the refrigerator getting nice and cold. I don't use exact measurements. I just cook whatever pasta I have at the moment. This morning I used up pasta from 4 different boxes that each had a little in them. While that is cooking, I diced up a very large local fresh beefsteak tomato(from Niagara Produce). I bought this a week or so ago. I am assuming that it was grown in a greenhouse.

Then I sliced up a can of black olives, cubed some pepperoni(purchased in a huge long stick from BJ's), and some cheddar cheese. Then I added some Italian Dressing and mixed it all. We again added a little dressing and mixed it again just before we ate. This has to be one of my very favorite summer salads. Dessert was a slice of watermelon leftover from Memorial Day.We have plenty of salad left for other meals this week.

We did have leftover BBQ chicken from last night's dinner but that will be used tomorrow night.

Today's mail brought a Wii game and two Mario Kart racing wheels for my grandchildren. Both of the grands have outgrown most of the toys that I have here. So I needed something besides board games for them to play with. Since the charges for them hit my credit card today, I consider them purchased today. So the only money that I have intentionally spent today is $ 34.63 for those items. Buying little treats for my grandchildren are a necessity in our home.

4 comments:

  1. aw I bet your grands will love the new game...sounds like fun. I think the salad is something my boy would like; I'll try to get the ingredients next week when I go to the store. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      I think the boys might. Mine always loved it. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on buying treats for the grandkids. ;) Your pasta salad looks very similar to one that I make. So good, frugal and filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      Thanks. I just loving surprising the grandchildren. My grandson will be here this morning and I can't wait to see him.

      Delete