Friday, July 22, 2016

Entertaining Doesn't Have To Be Expensive

One of our favorite ways to entertain is having our friends over for an evening of good food, conversation, and sometimes a board game or card game. Tonight we are fortunate that our best friends are coming to visit for the first time since Hubby came home from the hospital.
 

We are looking forward to seeing them. Since they always go out to dinner on Friday night, we invited them here afterwards for dessert and beverages.

I decided that we would have dessert the French way. But I had to work around Hubby's diet and one of our best friends allergies to a certain food.

You all know how busy I have been so it would have been easy for me to just order a fruit and cheese platter. But those platters are mega-expensive. A fruit and cheese platter costs $30. at my local market. I know they look pretty but I just want fresh and a reasonable price.

So an hour ago, I cleaned the fruit that I bought fresh this morning from our local produce market. The result was this fruit tray. Now I know it's large and there will only be four of us but while I was washing I decided to do all of the fruit. There is a cover to keep it all fresh and we will use the leftovers in the next week or so. I will put the entire tray on our dining table and let people put what they want in their bowls. I do have sugar free whipped cream in case anyone wants it for the berries.

I had a cantaloupe which I thought would give it some color. However when I cut into it today, it was not ripe. So I went with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cherries and grapes. They are all fruits that the four of us love.

I will also serve a cheese platter using the above pictured cheeses from our local cheese factory in Pembroke and some crackers. The table will also have a bowl of Platter's Orange Chocolates which is located in North Tonawanda. Not all of us can have chocolate but those that can will love these. The little yellow dishes will be put at each place for people to put their cherry pits.

The only thing missing for our French dessert are pastries. However one of my guests is severely allergic to one of the ingredients in those so they weren't even on my radar.

All of the above was bought locally. We like to support small local businesses in our communities.

It was much cheaper for me to make all of this myself rather than purchase it prepared. We will have many leftovers for the weekend and next week. My son and grandson will be coming for Sunday breakfast and you can bet that there will be fruit on the table.

So the next time you are tempted to purchase something that is prepared for your entertaining, think about how much cheaper it would be to put a little effort into it and save money.

We will enjoy our dessert with some after dinner drinks and/or coffee. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Stay safe!

4 comments:

  1. The fruit all looks so lovely and those cheeses and chocolate...divine! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! Thanks for your kindness.

      Delete
  2. mmmm cheese! The fruit looks delicious!
    Hope you had a wonderful visit with your friends!

    ReplyDelete