Friday, July 29, 2016

Good Buys In August

August is a good month to buy seasonal vegetables and fruits to put up in your freezer or can.

Those that will be in season depending on what area of the country you live in will be:

Fruits:  raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes, watermelon, nectarines, canteloupe, peaches, apricots, kiwi, limes, and plums

Vegetables: lettuce, green beans, summer squash, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, peas, peppers, radishes, eggplant, chard, spinach, carrots, avocados, and cucumbers

Each August, I try to freeze a years worth of berries to make jelly and jam for smoothies and for desserts. I missed the strawberry season here but I will definitely be putting up blueberries which we make pancakes and muffins with. I also love them fresh on my oatmeal.

If I get time, I will can peaches like I did last year. I also like to make up smoothie bags with berries, canteloupe balls, watermelon balls, banana slices and peaches along with some frozen yogurt cubes that I portion out into baggies so that they are ready for the blender. 

I will definitely blanch and freeze peas and green beans. For years when I had a large freezer, I blanched and froze corn on the cob. My freezer is small now so I just don't have the room. If you have room there is nothing better than corn on the cob in February. I also cut up and freeze green and colored peppers to make stir fry and to put on pizza.

Besides food you can pick up school supplies, summer clothing, back to school clothing, laptop computers, items to outfit a college dorm room, coffeemakers, toasters, alarm clocks, bicycles, and tools which will be on sale. You will find some of the cheapest prices for these items during August.

You will also find discounts on back to school haircuts. Maybe even some discounts for the adults.

If you need a new grill or patio set, they will be discounted. I am in the market for a new patio set so I will be looking for a deeply discounted one. 

If you know of anything else that will be on sale please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love your idea for smoothie bags. I freeze over ripe bananas, but I didn't think of adding other fruits and yogurt. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete