Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Buying Meat In Bulk

This time of year you can get some great deals on beef. Ground meat is cheap and so are steaks depending on how you purchase them.

I buy my ground sirloin in a large quantity when it goes on sale for $ 3.99 a lb. which I did a couple of months ago.  I like to buy my steaks in bulk when they reach the lowest price. I found that price last January when I bought a whole NY strip loin at $ 5.99 a lb. 

Yesterday I purchased another whole NY strip loin for $ 5.99 a lb. The regular price was $ 13.99 a lb. but that is inflated I believe. I can right now buy individual strip steaks for $ 6.99 a lb. on sale in a family size package. 

I took the whole loin to the head butcher and asked him to cut it up into individual steaks. He did and gave me all of the trimmings which I took all of the meat off of and put it in a bag for the next time I make stew.

I ended up with 15 steaks. As you can see the label says $63.85 for those steaks. So about $ 4.25 per steak. I am sure a lot of you are saying that you can't afford to spend that on steak for your families. I can understand that is a lot for meat. But if you buy them anyhow, why not buy them in bulk when you can get them cheaper. Even if you only purchased one loin a year you would save money. I usually buy 2-3 a year depending on the price. We grill our steaks outside so we tend not to have them when the snow flies.

I know that we like steak once in a while and that we don't like paying $ 22.00 - $40.00 per meal to go out for a nice steak dinner. So $ 8.50 plus another couple of dollars for sides lets us have a nice meal for about $ 10.50 for both of us and it's all tax and tip free. Actually we get two meals out of that because even though we grill two steaks at a time, we only each eat 1/2 of one. The other one we eat the next night either on a salad or sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic with a side or two.

So tonight we are grilling two steaks and having baked potatoes and steamed broccoli with it. Yum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment