Once upon a time I could easily keep a nine year old entertained. But it has been many years since my boys were nine. So I have been thinking about all of the things I can do with my granddaughter while she visits.
Of course we will be doing some expensive things but we love spoiling our grandchildren so that is always in the budget. However, we also want to do some inexpensive things too. So as I have been doing some cleaning this week, I was doing double duty by thinking about all of the ways that we could entertain her frugally.
The expensive things will be spending a day at an amusement park that also has a water park and a day of back to school shopping for clothes and shoes. We may also go to an animal park.
The frugal things will be:
- Going to the library at the beginning of her visit to get some books out for her to read. She is a voracious reader.
- Going to the park.
- Making cookies to take home to Mom and Dad just before she goes home.
- Playing cards or board games.
- Running through our sprinklers.
- Doing a pajama and movie day at home. Making a snack for the movie watching.
- Go bowling on a $1.50 a game day.
- Bowling on the Wii with Grandma and Grandpa.
- Doing other kid games on the Wii.
- Writing Mom and Dad an e-mail each day telling them what she did.
- Go for a walk.
- Fly a kite.
- Going to the frozen yogurt place.
- Doing a craft project.
- Just letting her play with the toys she brings with her or any that I have here.
- Having a belated family birthday party for her. Just ice cream and cake and perhaps a dollar store balloon or two.
- Enjoying a few picnics on the patio.
- Roasting marshmallows in the fireplace outside one night or more.
That was all I could come up with. So I need your help to think of some more frugal entertainment. Can you help this Granny out by leaving a comment and adding to my ideas?