Friday, August 26, 2016

My Wants This Week

Every week I make a list of sale items I want to buy. I let it sit for a day or so and then look at it again. You notice I labeled it wants not needs. 

Doing this every week prevents me from buying things that I don't need. I have already started my list for items that are on sale next week. 

My list starting this past Sunday looked like the above list. But now it looks like this with everything crossed out that I decided not to buy.

I look long and hard at each item and debate with myself as to whether it will get purchased or not. This keeps me from purchasing wants that aren't needs 99% of the time.

Lets take a look at this week's list of Aldi's items. It started out with foods listed and nothing crossed out. Aldi's red seedless grapes are so sweet and yummy and are a snack that we can eat on our diet. We purchased some last week at the same price. We still have one bag that we are working on plus lots of other fruits leftover from the fruit bowl so they were not a need. We probably would not be able to eat them before they went bad. I already have some in the freezer for smoothies so they were not a necessity. Hence I crossed them off my list.

I also had chicken breasts at $ 1.49 a lb. on my list. It is a great price. However after looking at my freezer inventory, I still have about 15 lbs. of chicken breasts in the freezer. Also my freezer is pretty full. Could I squeeze in more chicken? Probably but I will save the room for something else that I might need like the chicken wings on sale next week. Football season is upon us and we do a lot of wings. I can't wait to cook them in the air fryer.

I also saw some pictures of new items at Dollar Tree on one of my facebook groups. So I wrote the items that I was interested in on my list. The 2 in one stylus got crossed off because I am a little leary that it would work with my tablet and I hate having to waste gas returning items.

The Sink Scents are strainers for the water going down your sink. They are supposed to smell nice. I hate certain scents plus they look cheap compared to my stainless steel one. I think I will continue to use mine and make my homemade lemon cleaner for my sink and garbage disposal. So they got crossed off.

They have lots of new plaques and framed pieces with cute sayings on them. I decided against buying one since my home is already decorated exactly as I want it. So I crossed them off the list.

They have number candles for birthday cakes. We have no birthdays to bake for until January. I was not going to make a special trip just for one candle. If I go to Dollar Tree in the next few months and they still have one, I will pick one up. So it got crossed off my list.

They have Fleischman's Simply Homemade Muffin and Bread Mixes. I really don't know why it made my list to begin with. Prepackaged food is a no no on Hubby's diet. My homemade where I can control the ingredients taste better anyhow. So it got crossed off the list.

I saw a good deal on paper plates on Amazon.com. 225 for $14.98. Those are really nice heavy duty paper plates. I have not crossed it off my list yet. I am still arguing in my head. They would be so easy on busy cleaning and organizing days instead of washing dishes or loading them in the dishwasher. Would these be cheaper than washing the same amount of plates? I am not sure. I also know that using these are bad for the environment but I recycle. I have Amazon points to buy them with but I could use those points for something we really need.  I don't know yet whether I will buy them or cross them off.

Saving Star has an offer for a free Rice-A-Roni or Pasta Roni. I can get it at Top's. But Hubby can't eat these because they are prepackaged and loaded with salt. If he shouldn't eat them then neither should I. I want to keep us both healthy as long as I can. I also don't want to waste gasoline to pick up one item. So it got crossed off the list.

I am now working on my new list which is the first picture. It will probably be longer next week than this week because I am hoping to have more time to run errands next week. But my thinking doesn't change no matter how much time I have.

If I had just purchased all of the items on my list this week, I would have spent $ 23.00 plus some tax and the needed gasoline on items that were wants more than needs. I still might spend $ 14.98 on the plates but I am really fighting buying them. I will let you know next week if I did.

If you would like to see what is on my list each week and what I cross off and what I buy and my reasoning behind it, let me know by leaving a comment. I use my lists for motivation to spend as little as possible each week and be able to invest the money that I don't spend. 

I hope all of you have a safe and fun weekend.   

8 comments:

  1. You know, you can dehydrate those great price grapes into really GREAT tasting raisins. They are SO much better than store bought raisins. That's what I'm planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I don't have a dehydrator yet.

      Delete
  2. I need to do this! I make a list, but I don't mark things off...thanks for sharing your reasoning.
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Enjoy your weekend also.

      Delete
    2. I like how you don't have a grocery budget and think your way through your grocery list. The not having a budget has helped me have the lowest couple of weeks for groceries ever. Please continue to share your thought process. Have a good week!

      Delete
    3. Hi Meginks,

      I tried a budget for years and it didn't work for us. I find if I budget a certain amount, I will spend all of it. The last few months our grocery shopping has gotten out of control but I am working on it.

      Delete
    4. I love this idea...please keep it up!

      Delete
    5. Hi Mamabean,

      I will when I buy things.

      Delete