Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Back to Basics: Grocery Shopping

I got a late start this morning because I was doing some online shopping for my family for Christmas. I like to get it done early.

I wanted to show you the grocery and household goods shopping I did this week. Today was senior citizen discount day(once a month) at Top's. I got 6% off. 

I purchased 3 spaghetti at $.33 each after a mfr. and Top's $1. doubler coupon and 2 DaVinci elbow macaroni for free after coupons. The bananas were $.49 a lb. The 2 Puffs were $.29 after coupon. The 2- 4 lb. bags of sugar were $ 2.57 for both after coupons and the 5 lb. bag of flour was $ 1.88 after coupon. The 2 Flatout breads are great for wraps or making quick pizzas for lunches. They cost me $ .50 each after coupons. My total for this shop was $ 8.43 including tax. This will be my only food shopping this week. We are pretty well stocked on things. I am just filling in the gaps.

On Monday, I went to Walgreen's for 2 -12 ct. Scott toilet paper and a Got2B dry shampoo. I like to have the shampoo in the house when someone is sick in bed. Not hoping for that. Just getting prepared. I also picked up some medication for Hubby that cost $11.99. The toilet tissue and shampoo cost $ 11.09 after coupons. I earned 2300 balance rewards on that shop. It's my birthday month so I am getting extra points.

I may or may not go to CVS for two items and Wegman's for 2 items later in the week on the way home from a doctor's appointment.

Hubby and I are craving gumbo today. So before I went shopping I put most of the ingredients in the crockpot. I use a Weight Watcher's recipe. It is so good. I just need to thicken the sauce and add the okra, corn and some shrimp about 30 minutes before we eat it. We made double rice on Sunday for the chili so we will use it to serve the gumbo on. The onions, peppers, tomatoes,celery, hot turkey sausage,  boneless chicken breasts, and Cajun seasoning cooking are cooking and making my kitchen smell so good.

Now I am off to sort through a closet. I hope you all have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. I like to go shopping at Tops first Tuesday of the month to get the 6% discount also. I usually buy whatever meats are on sale to get the best deal for me/us.
    Love that gumbo. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindi,

    Meats are best thing to buy with the discount. Right now, I am stocked. The gumbo was so delicious. We have two more meals left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum on the gumbo! Going to see if I can find a recipe; it sounds perfect for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete