Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Frugal Things We Have Done In The Past Month

Frugality is still king in our household. Sometimes it is easy like just staying home which uses no gasoline and keeps the temptation of buying at bay. Other times it is hard like passing up on take out when you are tired. But no matter how easy or hard, we try to stay on the frugal path in our daily lives. 

So these are the frugal things we have done over the
past month:

- Cooked 99% of our meals at home from scratch using the grill or crock pot to save on energy

- Hung our laundry every time except for the occasional load of towels

- Used coupons in conjunction with sales on needed items

- Staying home most of the time to save on gasoline. I shop and try to run errands all in one day. Or I run them on the way home from appointments.

- Putting a lot of time and thought into how to make some extra money to fund a planned trip to Disney World. I would like to fund this trip without taking away from our investments or Christmas fund. Any ideas?

- Packing a lunch when I am out running a lot of errands. I get hungry and I don't want to be tempted by fast food so PB&J and a bottle of tap water come to the rescue.

- Asked our son to trim our birch tree so that we didn't have to hire a tree service. Some of the branches were hitting the house. He did it last Sunday and did a beautiful job. 

- I continue to exercise at home to work on my core strength. I don't need to join a gym. 

- We are eating a lot of salads made with homemade dressings.

- We got our flu shots and 2nd pneumonia shots which our insurance pays for.

- We are having a heat wave again so we turned off the heat.

- I got a raincheck on a sale item that was out of stock so that I can buy it the next time I grocery shop at the sale price.  

- We continue to drink tap water and homemade iced tea for beverages rather than expensive soda.

- I am again starting to take advantage of rewards programs at the drug stores for necessary OTC meds and personal care items. We had been using up our stockpile of these items for a couple of years.

- When I was at the dentist, I made sure to get a big bag of samples of toothpaste, dental floss, mouthwash, etc.

- I send for every free sample that we can use. 

- We have been reading, playing board games or card games, and watching TV or Netflix and Amazon Prime movies for entertainment. Our son also let us borrow every one of the Star War movies that are out on DVD to watch.

- I continue to rinse out and reuse Ziploc bags unless they have had raw meat in them.

- We have been charging every expense we can to get as many credit card rewards as possible. We always pay the bill as soon as we get it so that we pay no interest.

- Before I buy something, I ask myself if I already have something that I can use or borrow from family.
An example recently: Our piggy bank bit the dust. Rather than buy a new one, Hubby put a slit in the top of a canning jar.

- We continue to do all of the little things to keep our electricity bill low.

- We continue to grow our investments monthly.

- We only do full loads in the dishwasher and the washing machine.

- I am now only using 1/2 of a dishwasher tablet per load. I see no difference in cleanliness from when I was using 1 tablet.

-
I checked the air pressure in each of our tires and added air where necessary. We can do this at home. 

- I continue to earn gas points to discount our next fill up.

- Waiting out this heat wave so that I can cook my last turkey in the freezer

- Received a $ 5.00 rebate in the mail; sent for a $ 4.00 beer rebate

- Purchased a discounted restaurant gift card for a birthday gift; used my rewards card to get another 1%

That is about all I can recall or wrote down this past month. What have you been doing frugally? 

6 comments:

  1. That's a lot! You are also great about tracking everything. Let's see, for me,
    -I continue to utilize the library for our books
    -sell things we don't need (I sold $21 of random kid stuff laying around the house)
    -declutter (which helps us identify things to sell & keeps the house cleaner)
    -Make a menu plan each week
    -Make things myself vs buying snacks
    -Limit eating out to planned events (vs unexpected splurges)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      You did awesome! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Great list.
    I didn't know I could cut my dishwasher tab in half!
    Gonna try it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindi,

      Thanks. You will save 1/2 your cost so enjoy. I also only use a tbsp. or two of laundry detergent.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea about cutting the dishwasher tabs in half either. I will have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It saves me so much money.

      Delete