Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween

I have to tell you that I am exhausted. We were visiting with family this weekend but we went to them in eastern New York. We just returned home today at 12:30PM after leaving at 7:45 and driving non stop.

We left on Friday morning about 8:30AM to drive there to visit my son, daughter in law, and granddaughter.  We stopped at a travel plaza around Exit 33 to eat the salads and drink water that I packed. We got back on the highway and we saw signs that told us that all traffic had to exit at Exit 30.

We no sooner left the travel plaza when we ended up in the traffic all backed up before Exit 30.  A Construction worker who was working on the highway was killed and that is why they closed it so that they could do the investigation. They were still taking tolls which led to a huge backup plus the little town of Herkimer couldn't handle the traffic with their little two lane roads. When we got off they had detour signs set up to lead us up and down the mountains to get to Exit 29 where we could get back on the highway. From the time we hit the stop and go backed up traffic at Exit 31 until we actually got off at Exit 30 took us 2 hrs. and 15 minutes. We got to our son's home 7 and 1/2 hours after leaving our home. This is a normal 4 and 1/2 hour trip.

Fortunately the rest of our stay went well. We spent a lovely time with our family all weekend. My granddaughter wanted to go to the Yogurt Place and do some other things so we did. 

On Saturday, late afternoon, we went to an 80th Birthday party at the Mariott Hotel in Colonie. The party was for a good friend of ours who we have known for over 43  years. There were about 100 people in attendance including 12 of us who did everything together for almost 32 years. It was a great time with good food, good friends, and great dancing. Nothing better than a bunch of 70 and 80 year olds who are healthy enough to dance.  

On Sunday we spent all of the day with just our family highlighted by a wonderful dinner out at 
Valente's Restaurant where Hubby and I have been going since we got married. Between dinner entree's, antipasto for 3 of us and mozzarella sticks for 2 for appetizers, we went home stuffed and we had plenty of leftovers. My family who we just left has plenty to eat tonight.

We brought all of their Christmas gifts to them because we will not see them for Christmas this year. So that saved me shipping them.

We loved seeing our granddaughter. She is such a young lady now and so tall. She stands next to me and is up to my nose. She sent me home with a 7 page story that she has written. I am off to enjoy reading it. Then I have unpacking to do, laundry to start, and dinner to cook. Then the trick or treating will start.  

Enjoy Halloween trick or treating. Keep your kids safe. I will be posting again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun but exhausting weekend.
    So glad you were able to enjoy time with family. Hope you are able to get some rest.
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. I will get some rest when the trick or treaters stop coming.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about the construction worker being killed. How terribly sad for his family. :(

    I am glad that you had such a food time with your family and friends. It sounds like a wonderful weekend! Get some rest my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      It was very sad. I spent some time while I was waiting in traffic praying for him and his family.

      Delete