Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My November Shopping Plans

Perhaps you have noticed that I have not been doing too much shopping this month. The reason is that we are trying to use up some of the meat and vegetables in our freezers to make room for a turkey or two to use over the winter. So I am hoping to get a great price on three turkeys including the one I will cook for 5 of us on Thanksgiving. I am also trying to keep this month's food budget low so that I have extra money to buy the good food deals in November.

We have so much meat stockpiled that it could probably get us through part of the winter. So there is no need to shop heavily this month unless I see a rock bottom price. You have seen everything that I have purchased so far in October. I may go to the produce store later this week because we are getting low on lettuce and fruit. But that will probably be the only shopping this week.

On Sunday, my grandson and I went to Dollar Tree to use the 10% off coupon and we purchased some puzzles, a ball, matchbox cars, and small toys for him to use when he is here. Most of the toys that I have in the toy closet, he has outgrown. So that will be a Craigslist winter project. I also purchased some baggies and aluminum foil that I needed to get me to the $10. minimum. We purchased no food.

So last night I sat down and made a list of the foods that I want to buy in November while they are at rock bottom prices. Last year I purchased what I thought would be enough butter for the year. But I ran out. So this year I am hoping to stockpile 20 lbs. of unsalted butter at $2.00 or under a lb. We don't use margarine.


The very beginning of November I hope to pick up enough reduced price Halloween candy(50-90% off) to not only have some for the kids for Christmas and Valentine's Day but to snag Hershey bars and other chocolate bars to freeze for baking. If other Halloween branded items are reduced like rolls, etc. I may or may not pick up some of those. It will depend on whether the markdown price is lower than I can make them for. This year I am also looking to score some cheap or free pumpkins;otherwise I will stock on canned pumpkin while it is cheap.  

I am hoping that the three turkeys(minimum) that I want to buy will be $ .49 to $ .99 a lb. depending on the brand. 

If hams are at a decent price, I will get a couple of those too.

I also want to pick up more apples, lots of potatoes( hoping for $ .19 a lb. like last year), turnips, and some yams. If cranberries are at a great price, I will buy about 15 bags for the freezer because we use them to make muffins, quick breads, and cranberry sauce through out the next year.

Stockpiling all purpose and bread flour, white sugar, brown sugar and powered sugar and vanilla will be at the top of my list. I also want to stock on oil and shortening. I have enough chocolate and other cookie chips in the freezer that I need none this year.

Other items that I will be looking for rock bottom prices on are pecans and walnuts, evaporated and condensed milk, low sodium chicken broth, whipped cream, cream cheese, stuffing, olives, and jellied cranberry sauce. I always like to have these in my pantry, freezer or refrigerator. 

What foods are you planning on buying at great prices in November?

8 comments:

  1. What do you do when you find an item at rock bottom price but there is a limit on how much you can buy? Such as butter at $1.99/lb. but limit of 2. I find this a lot and since I drive 30 miles to shop I can't stop in everyday during a sale to pick up enough to make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozy,

      I have no problem separating my orders into two orders. I have never been told I can't. If I was I would just leave the store with the first order and then go back in and get 2 more butter. Bring someone with you to do a couple of orders too. Even a child can do it.

      Delete
  2. butter at 1.99 a pound is great for our area, also hotel-style turkey breast roasts that are perfect for smaller meals and to cook for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      That is what I am hoping for , under $2.00 a lb. I love the turkey breasts but the cost has been too expensive the past couple of years. I am hoping it is cheaper this year.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Good tips! Thank you!
    Hope there will be some great deals in November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might check Aldi's for butter. It is always under $2.00 a lb. here (Temple, Texas). They have both salted and unsalted sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth,

    Thanks. Ours is $2.49 so I am hoping for a sale in November.

    ReplyDelete