Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Our Thanksgiving Menu





Since it is so cold here, I am looking forward to heating the house up while cooking the turkey. My grandson was so excited about coming back here for turkey on Thursday. He told me that he loves turkey, stuffing, green beans and gravy. I purchased some chocolate syrup to make him chocolate milk on Thanksgiving too. It is a rare and special treat for him.


I finally sat down yesterday and wrote out my menu for Thanksgiving. I wanted to make sure that I had everything we needed. I went out last Friday to the market, the beverage center, and the liquor store. Knowing that we were supposed to get snow yesterday and they were predicting it this week too, I did not want to get stuck having to go out again in snow and ice. 

We are having a chardonnay with dinner. I also purchased some Fat Tire and Sam Adams beer. I decided that I had a pretty stocked liquor cabinet so I only picked up two bottles of wine.     

Dinner will be turkey, sausage and herb stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, pickles, olives, and rolls. I asked my daughter in law to make pie. My son told me she has Wednesday off so she will make a pie and a few other things. So they will be surprises. I also purchased whipped cream and a container of vanilla ice cream in case anyone wants it with the pie.

With our dessert, we will have choices of coffee, Kahlua, and Amaretto Di Saronno. The latter sounds good in my coffee.

As you can see I keep our menu pretty simple. It is hard enough for me to cook all of these simple things without getting too complicated. I seem to be very tired this week. I didn't get much sleep over the weekend( 1 and 1/2 hours on Saturday night) because my grandson kept waking me up saying he was frightened. Of what I am not sure. That has never happened here before. But my son told me it seems to be a phase he is going through because he has been doing it at home too. 

So today I will be vacuuming and dusting the house and cleaning the bathrooms. The rest of the house is pretty immaculate. I love cooking in a nice clean kitchen. So I cleaned that yesterday. I need a lot of counter space for Thursday so that we can fill our plates and take them to the table. I hate a lot of clutter on the table when we eat. It is just as easy to serve ourselves buffet style in the kitchen.

Tomorrow I will be preparing some things ahead as I am sure you all will. If you aren't cooking you will probably be traveling. I wish everyone a safe trip and a Happy Thanksgiving. My best to all of your families.

I will be back posting on Black Friday.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I wish my boys like traditional Thanksgiving food. They aren't even fans of mashed potatoes. . . blasphemy! :-)

    Enjoy your time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Your menu sounds delicious!
    My family likes traditional meals, so our menu is similar to yours. Yum!
    Hope you are able to get some rest, and I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes.

    ReplyDelete