Wednesday, December 21, 2016

A Little of This & A Little of That

First I want to let you know that the bean soup turned out yummy. Best of all it didn't make us sick. We will have a couple more meals before I freeze the rest for lunches.

Also Hubby made party mix yesterday. As usual it was a huge success. Since I have already had a small bowl, I can tell you that it is delicious. We will fill a few nut cans and gift them to our son, DIL, and grandson. Christmas wouldn't be the same without party mix. Hopefully my son on the other side of the state made some for his family. He usually does.

Take a look at what a mess this plastic container is. After heating soup in the microwave a few times, the container is only good for the recycle bin. It was one of the last few that we have.  

I started to add plastic containers to my grocery list but I stopped. Why do I buy containers that will just get ruined all over again and have to be recycled again? It seemed kind of stupid when I thought about it. What can I substitute?

Perhaps I could use my assortment of glass containers with lids instead.

I could also substitute my many pieces of Temptations, a few of which are shown here. 

Then I have a few pieces of Tupperware that I could use, Pyrex and Corningware dishes with covers, and some stainless steel bowls with covers.

Now that I think about it, I have more than plenty storage and cooking options.

So why would I go and replace these plastic containers?  After thinking this through, I won't. I have plenty of substitutions. I don't need any temporary plastic cluttering up my cupboards or taking dollars away from my savings goals.

Yes, this is just an example of the way I think things through before I act on them. By doing this my whole married life, we have saved thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. Just little cuts in the way we do things adds up to big money each and every year.

So the next time you go to add something you think you need to your shopping list stop and think it through. It could be financially beneficial for you and your family.

4 comments:

  1. I love that kind of party mix. I think it's called Chex Mix on the west coast. Yum! We don't have it consistently, but it often turns up at a holiday party.

    One of my 2017 goals is to have a monthly goal of eliminating or substituting & see what sticks. I'm going to look for reducing our plastic wrap/ziplocks, setting up rain buckets & a shower bucket to reduce our watering in the spring/summer, etc. I'm sure there are many more things I can do to improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Those are terrific goals for 2017.

      Delete
  2. Yummy looking soup and party mix!
    Great idea about using glass containers instead of buying plastic containers. I usually like heating up glass instead of plastic in the microwave, but I pack my son's lunch in plastic, and I need to find a better thermos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. Good luck finding the thermos.

      Delete