Tuesday, December 27, 2016

How I Use My Favorite Pantry Ingredient

How many of you buy those little cans of tomato paste? You know, the little 6 oz. ones that never seem to go on sale.

Have you ever needed just a tablespoon and then didn't know what to do with the rest? So you put it in a container in your deep freeze where it languished until it was dead. 

I haven't bought one of those cans in a very long time. I make my own tomato paste by always having tomato powder in my pantry.

Tomato powder only has one ingredient, tomatoes. No salt which those little cans have.

I used to use tomato bouillon granules but it had ingredients that I wasn't crazy about. Hence I found this tomato powder and I have never looked back.

I buy a 32 oz. jar of:

 Mother Earth

from amazon.com for $ 20.86. I just placed an order to replenish my supply. If you have a larger family than I do, you can get it cheaper by using subscribe and save. 

I make my own tomato paste when I need it. To replace a 6 ounce can, I just mix 1/4 cup of powder with 1/4 cup of hot water. If you want to add salt, you can. I don't.

If I need just a tablespoon or another measure,I just use less powder and less water adjusted to the thickness I want.  

In a pinch if I don't have tomato sauce, I can make that too. Just mix 1/4 cup of powder to 1/2 cup of hot water.

You can also make tomato juice or just sprinkle it on those hot house tomatoes in the winter to make them taste better.  

The first time I bought it was to flavor soups and make Spanish rice. But then I branched out to the tomato paste. I hate wasting partial cans of anything so this works for me.

The other advantage to me is that it will keep a very long time, almost indefinitely.

It may or may not be as cheap as buying all of those little cans but it is certainly handier.

9 comments:

  1. Over the years I too had to throw out the small cans of tomato paste, until I discovered that you can purchase Tubes of tomato paste at Wegmans. Looks like tomato paste in a tooth paste tube. Just squeeze out what you need, and refrigerate the rest. Not sure of the name of the product, but you can go on wegmans website and find it I am sure. Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are 2.99 for 4.5 ounce tubes for anyone who is interested. I assume they have an expiration date.

      Delete
  2. Just looked it up; the brands are Amore or Cento. The Amore is 2.99 for 2.5 oz tube

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely look into that option! Thanks for sharing. I struggle to use up my tomato paste as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      You are welcome. I love that I can keep it just about forever and forget expiration dates. It works for me.

      Delete
  4. This might just be the best thing for me. My dh is all citric acid. I cannot buy almost any tomato product anymore. I was buying tomato paste in the tube but to buy tomato sauce or tomato bouillon for Spanish rice was not going to happen. Thank you very much. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,

      This works well for me. I had to give up spaghetti sauce because it bothers my stomach but this doesn't.

      Delete
  5. Hi AD this is Chris. Thanks so much for that tip. I had never heard of that product.

    ReplyDelete