Thursday, December 22, 2016

I Am Done Spending Until.............................

We are done spending until after New Year's Day with one caveat.  We have monthly bills that are paid automatically every month from our checking account. I also will have to pay two credit card bills because they come at the end of every month just days apart. However that money is set aside for that purpose when the items are charged. Unless a true emergency happens, we have no intention of spending a penny more.

We needed gas yesterday so I filled up the tank using my $1.30 off a gallon discount while I was out picking up a prescription. I loved paying $ 1.06 per gallon of gas.

Our Christmas gifts and food for the holidays are all bought and paid for. We have our bottle of champagne for New Years Eve. We stay home on New Year's Eve and just enjoy ringing in the New Year together. We will watch the ball drop in Times Square. I will make a nice dinner of strip steak, baked potatoes and asparagus. Perhaps we will eat a cookie or two. 

So sometime next week, I will post our December Expense Report with our final savings tally for the year. Then we will be ready to start a New Year.

Don't you love the sound of that? A New Year always gives us a fresh start and hopes of good things happening in our lives. Even if we didn't do so well last year, we have the promise of starting over in the New Year. That feeling never gets old for us even knowing that Hubby and I will be married 50 years in 2017.  We still have goals and aspirations for the New Year and the hope that it will be better than the year before.

But it doesn't just happen by itself. We have to continually work at making the best life we can have. We have to continually work hard at controlling our finances and investing for our future and our children and grandchildren's future. 

I have had more than one person say to us " You can stop saving now and spend your money." Well we do for the things that we feel are important to us. Not for the things that other people feel are important for us. We march to our own drummer and always have. No one should be telling you how to spend your money but you!

We have always lived life on our own terms. We have had a wonderful life filled with the joy of children and grandchildren. That is the most important part of enjoying life to us. Hence we have the goal of helping those children and grandchildren even after we are gone. We have lacked for nothing and will continue to lack for nothing while still advancing our goals.

That said Hubby and I have no plans to check out anytime soon. Although Hubby did try to escape me last June and July when he was so sick. But I wouldn't let him go.

So we are planning a terrific New Year in 2017 of showing you how we do and don't spend money. I will try to incorporate every big and little thing that we do or don't into this blog. I will try to give you as much knowledge as I can in 2017 to help you along your financial path. Please join us on this path in 2017.

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I too am done with spending until into Jaunary. I just returned from the grocery store getting only what we needed to see us through for the next 2 weeks . We didn't need much and there wasn't really anything I needed to stock up. Our bills are paid, our Christmas is bought and paid for and I have money left in the bank. I tell people that I know I'm weird--I'm not a shopper, I'm a home body, I like to cook, clean, craft and take care of my hubby ( we are empty nesters) and home. We don't eat out, but maybe once per month. I like knowing that we aren't down to our last $10 until the next pay check comes in. We have everything we need and live a nice comfortable life. We are blessed!
    I enjoy reading your blog--I sometimes check it multiple times a day to see if you've posted anything new!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      You are very blessed. Thanks for sharing with us. Thanks for your kindness. You never know when or if I will blog. Sometimes even on a weekend. I have to post when an idea hits me or I am doing something that I think I need to share.

      Delete
  2. I love your optimism for the new year - that's always how I feel as well! I'm in the somewhat rare position of seeing the family issue from both sides. I'm very close to my family (parents, sister, aunts, uncles, and to my grandparents before they passed away a few years back). My husband, on the other hand, has a very good relationship with his family, but doesn't get to see them more than once every 3-4 years, due to travel & visa limitations. It's a reminder to me that nothing is more important than family. Taking good care of our finances puts me in the position of being able to spend time with family, help out as needed, etc. You don't need to have money to be close to your family, of course, but I totally understand your motivation.

    Also, the fact that you are close to your adult children speaks very highly of your parenting & demeanor. I think some parents find it hard to let their kids make their own life choices & decisions, while loving them & giving them that freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      I am usually an optimistic person especially when it comes to New Years.

      No you don't need to have money to be close to your children. Mine live their own lives and make their own decisions. But they are very good to us. And they have always made it a priority for my grandchildren to spend as much time with us as possible which we are very thankful for. There was a lot of love in our home when our children were growing up and I see that same love in their homes today. I am very proud of the young men that they have become. You are motivated by the travel involved in seeing yours. I am motivated to make sure that my children have a little extra for their retirement and that my grandchildren get a good college education and start in life. I don't think retirement and the years ahead are going to be as easy for them as it was for us.

      Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and experiences. I am learning a tremendous amount of knowledge. I understand you really don't have to but I sure do appreciate it. I read everyday and am grateful for your time and attention to your blog. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,

      You are very welcome. You have a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

      Delete
  4. Hi American Dreamer,
    I love your blog, and sometimes check it more than one time daily. I have learned and continue to learn so much from you, daily. Thank you for taking your time to share your knowledge. It has really blessed me.
    Merry Christmas, and the best New Year filled with health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family also.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing with us. You are an inspiration and encouragement to me to continue to find ways to save so that we can be financially independent. I am looking forward to a fresh start.
    Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks for your kindness. Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete