Tuesday, December 6, 2016

In A Pinch

This is how the conversation went last night after dinner. "The ham is all gone and so is the coleslaw for your lunches." Since Hubby is a juror on a trial he has been taking his lunch every day for the past two weeks.

I said, " I can make turkey or chicken salad. I can make you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a turkey sandwich(slices in freezer). I can make you a Caesar salad with chicken.  Which would you like?" "None of them. I want something different." "Would you like soup?" "No." "Do you want to go out to lunch and buy something?" "No. I will lose my parking spot".

Hubby says, " Don't you have any leftovers?" I said,
"No, we ate them all up." I said, "Do you want to go to the store for cold cuts or to Subway and pick up a sub without the dressing on it?" Hubby says, "No I am too tired." I say, "Well so am I plus I don't drive after dark." 

I am thinking to myself: Really this is just a lunch!
Hubby is still thinking. I continued with some more suggestions and the answer was always no. Finally, I remembered that I had a ready made pizza crust in the basement freezer. So I asked, "Would you like me to make a pizza so that you can take a couple of slices?" Finally his answer was "Yes!" I asked if there was a microwave at the courthouse? He said he didn't know but if there wasn't he likes cold pizza.

So I pulled the pizza crust out of the freezer and quickly defrosted it. I always keep a package of two of these in my freezer for days that I don't feel like cooking and I am too tired to make my own dough. They are quick and easy to use.

Then I pulled toppings from the freezer that I knew he liked. We had a small container of leftover spaghetti sauce that was just enough for one pizza. We also had some leftover black olives from making antipasto salad, some chopped onions, and a few pieces of pepperoni. I also grabbed the bag of mozzarella cheese.  

I made the pizza and then covered all in parmesan cheese. I then baked it in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

Then I let it cool so that I could cut two pieces for him and put it in a container for his lunch today. Do you think I will eat some for my lunch today? Heck no! I am not going through that conversation again tonight. There will be pizza for him in the fridge tomorrow morning.

So I always keep at least one or two of these in my freezer for occasions just like this. In a pinch I can make a quick meal when I am tired. 99% of the time I cook from scratch. 99% of the time I make my own pizza crust if we don't have a cheap frozen pizza. By cheap I mean under $5.00. We have ordered pizza out but not in this location. We have tried every pizza joint in the area and hate them all. Besides they are expensive.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! I usually make my own pizza dough too and leave it in the freezer. But I like your way better!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindi,

      I have done that too. But I always keep these as a just in case.

      Delete
  2. Your pizza looks delicious, but your "heck no!" cracked me up.Glad you found something for your hubby to eat. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! But you won't believe this:
      Hubby came home from jury at 12:00PM because the defense had rested and the judge sent them home until Thursday. So I ask him, did you eat your lunch. No we just got done. I will eat it now.

      When he goes back they will get instructions from the judge and then start deliberations. Meals will be brought by the court during those. So I don't have to send any more lunches. So I ate the pizza for lunch.

      Delete
    2. Hi AD, this is Chris. I laughed so hard when I read this post and especially this comment. :).

      Delete
  3. Your post cracked me up. My husband is a doll in many ways, but pretty picky about food. In a good way. He likes really, really healthy food. Sounds great, right? But, what about if you also have a picky 9 year old? Or, you have a pizza party to attend for a school event? Or any other number of things. . it gets crazy. I try to always have one item of his choice (a giant salad), and then can always pull out an easy protein from the freezer, if I'm desperate.

    Tonight I'm making crescent roll wrapped hot dogs for dinner, and I already have another leftover item set aside for my husband. There's zero chance he'll eat that. ;-) Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Men can be a real pain! :-) Love that I am not the only one with a picky Hubby.

      Delete
  4. Good job! Ingredients that can quickly be pulled together to make a meal is what I call "Fast Food".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will remember that: Fast Food.

      Delete