Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Making Mistakes

Do you ever make mistakes? Is it frustrating? I know I could get frustrated if I allowed myself to.

Yesterday was one of those days where I made a big mistake. Did I let it ruin my day? Nope, not in the least. Matter of fact, I am still laughing about it.

On Sunday I cooked a 11+ lb. ham. Hubby and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with apple, raisin, and  pecan coleslaw, pineapple and baked potatoes for sides. A nice glass of wine topped it all off.

After dinner, Hubby cut the ham in half. He took the bone out so that I could make bean soup. He also took a chunk of meat off one of the halves as extra for the bean soup. I always get all of the bits off of the ham bone to add after the soup cooks for a while. I froze half of the ham for future meals. I put the other portion in the fridge for a dinner and for sandwiches or ham and eggs for breakfast. I put the ham bone and the extra chunk of ham in a ziploc in the fridge. That night I soaked my northern beans overnight in the crockpot.

Yesterday morning knowing that I had a very busy day, I drained the beans and washed them well and cleaned the crockpot. I then put the beans back into it, added my spices, and added the ham bone. I covered all with 3/4's cold chicken broth and 1/4 ice cold water. I covered the crockpot and turned it on to low to let it cook all day.

I went out and ran all of my last minute errands. Until a reader, Pat, reminded me in comments yesterday, I forgot to get all of the ingredients for our party mix that Hubby makes every year. If I had forgotten, my son would have been so disappointed. I was so afraid that the store wouldn't have every thing that I needed. I was lucky because they only had two boxes in the entire store of wheat Chex and I snagged one. I picked up the rest of the ingredients and was happy to get them all. This party mix is not cheap the way Hubby wants it made but it is a tradition in our household. Hubby hates peanuts in his party mix. So I buy 3 cans of mixed nuts - no peanuts every year. However yesterday, they only had two cans. So I bought a third can of mixed nuts that said it had 50 less peanuts. I told Hubby it was all I could get without driving 26 miles. He can decide whether to add the third can or not. 

Then I made a run to the beverage center to pick up some Beer- Fat Tire which is my son's favorite. Lastly I went to the liquor store to pick up 3 bottles of wine and our bottle of champagne for New Year's Eve.

When I came home I put everything away and sat down to do my Ibotta rebates for the wine. I also had $7.00 worth of Frontera and Yellow Tail rebates to fill out and get in the mail.

Our mail came and I was happy to see the free coupon for a 12 pack of Diet Coke from My Coke Rewards. I also got a notice from Social Security of a raise effective January 2017 for .3%. I didn't expect it to be much. However I didn't expect that my net check would be the same as last year. Yup, between Medicare going up and the taxes going up that I have withheld every check, my net didn't change one penny. Here's hoping that Hubby's notice when it comes actually gives us a raise. It should. I don't get a very big check because I didn't work that many years while my children were growing up and I didn't make much money. That said, it was a choice we made and that we have never regretted.

I was then very busy for the rest of the day doing many odds and ends. Hubby asked what we were having for dinner. I said ham, pineapple, scalloped potatoes and green beans. He asked was the soup ready. I said no. That I always cook it at least a day and a half because it is so much better. So I told him we would be having it tonight.

I made dinner, we ate and then I proceeded to wash  the dishes. Then I decided I would take the ham bone out of the soup, take the meat off, and put the rest of the bits of meat back in. As I started to do this, I realized the water was ice cold. The soup didn't look like it had cooked long enough(picture last night). Guess what? I turned it on but never plugged it in. I was so busy I just never noticed. Fortunately the crockpot kept everything cold enough so that I am not worried about it going bad. Hubby put it in the cold garage last night and I just brought it in and plugged it in and turned it on. So hopefully we will have bean soup tonight. UGH!

I could have let it upset me. But I didn't. I was just happy that it stayed cold enough and because the ham is processed with salt that it is fine to eat. 

I haven't made a mistake like this one in a very long time. But they do happen and when they do I just go with the flow. I know that I am not perfect.

Today Hubby will happily be making our party mix so that I can wrap a container for my son's family for Christmas. We will enjoy the rest ourselves over the next couple of weeks.   

It's a cleaning and laundry day around here so I best get moving.      

6 comments:

  1. Yum on the party mix! I know your family will enjoy it. I need to make some for my family.
    Funny about the crockpot! I've done the same thing in the past. Just last week, I turned the griddle on to make pancakes and poured the batter on, but was wondering why the pancakes weren't cooking. (I hadn't plugged up the griddle). :D So you aren't alone.
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      I got a chuckle out of this. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your party mix.

      Delete
  2. I've been there MANY times, particularly with kitchen mistakes because I'm in a big rush. But, I've made other mistakes as well - buying something we needed off of eBay (it's cheaper!) & then having it break down & not have a valid warranty vs having bought it on Amazon. Life lessons. ;-)

    My recent one from the holidays - I ordered gifts for my goddaughters, who live near Seattle. Rather than having it delivered to their house (free shipping), I wanted a pair of socks for our Christmas exchange also included. . . So, I had the entire order shipped to me for a $2 pair of socks. Now, I have to go out, buy bigger mailing envelopes than I currently have, and pay for postage on two packages. I estimate it will cost $8. . . Could have bought a very fancy pair of socks for that price. I just didn't think it through in my rush to order. ;-)

    Happy you could still save your soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Oh, no sorry about the shipping mistake. UGH!
      I am guilty of many mistakes because I rush. I need to slow down when I do things. Perhaps that should be a New Years resolution.

      Delete
  3. I knew what was coming before I got through this post. I did the same thing at a church potluck. I brought a crockpot full of whatever it was (don't remember now) and set it on the counter in the kitchen and turned it on. Three hours later came to check on it and whoopsie, hadn't plugged the dang thing in! Sometimes I wonder where my brain is! Fortunately there was plenty of other food at the potluck. I took the crockpot home and we enjoyed the food the next day. A sense of humor is one of the best frugal tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozy,

      Oh dear. At least I was at home when I did it. Yes, a sense of humor is one of the best.

      Delete