Monday, December 26, 2016

This Week's Menu Plan, etc.

Surprise! I am back posting. I thought I might be too tired from yesterday but I was up at 6AM and raring to go. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We spent the day with our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson at their home near Rochester. It was wonderful. We just love the look of delight on our grandson's face when he opens his presents. He got a lot of Pokemon items - cards and books. His favorite present was an I phone that he can track Pokemon on. He goes to the colleges to track them with his parents. They have taught him how to watch for cars and to always put the phone down by your side when crossing a street. His parents have everything else blocked on the phone for now until he gets older. Smart move!

It has become a Christmas tradition that they make fondues for dinner. We had beef, chicken and shrimp that we cooked in oil. Cheese fondue with different types of bread, cooked mushrooms, sauteed brussels sprouts and cooked baby potatoes. For dessert, we had sliced bananas, whole strawberries, cheesecake and bacon dipped in chocolate fondue. It was all delicious and we had a wonderful time doing it.

Moving on. I will be posting a menu every week of everything that we will eat for dinner in 2017. I decided to post this week's too. I will not be posting a lunch or breakfast menu because we tend to eat leftovers or soup for lunch. If I have cooked a turkey or ham then we might have sandwiches. Breakfasts are chosen from bacon, breakfast sausage, eggs, English muffins with jam, bagels with cream cheese, oatmeal for me, cold cereal for Hubby, yogurt with fruit or homemade granola, muffins, homemade donuts, pancakes and waffles.

You can see our menu above for this week. If it isn't big enough, click on the picture. I will not be following the Cheesy Enchilada recipe verbatim. I will be adding cooked rice at the end. I made double rice the other night when I made orange chicken. I am also adding ground turkey instead of the black beans. We have black beans but I want to use up an older package of the turkey. The other ingredients will be adjusted as needed. This should make two meals and perhaps a lunch.

Our choice of salads and BLT's is to use up some fresh veggies and white bread that we have left in the freezer. We freeze most of our bread and then pull out a few slices when we need it. Otherwise our bread goes moldy. I hate waste which I have talked about before.

I want to get rid of the chicken strips that I purchased frozen and the frozen onion rings that are remaining in the freezer. The shrimp dish is a favorite here and will be perfect for New Year's Eve.

We always eat our leftovers so you may see many meals where we just eat leftovers. With two of us, I tend to cook double or triple meals. Sometimes I will freeze a meal and other times we will eat them night after night. Neither one of us likes to waste food so we don't mind the lack of variety.

I am off to work in my kitchen today. I hope you all have a good one. 

2 comments:

  1. I read a report once that said the #1 tip to better financial freedom was accomplished by eating the wonder of *leftovers* and I believe it.
    We've got enough leftovers to last a week. And I'm going to enjoy the week of just using my microwave to warm up those leftovers. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindi,

      I just love the time off leftovers give too.

      Delete