Tuesday, December 13, 2016

What Do You Take To Holiday Parties?

We went to a Neighborhood Holiday Party at a neighbor's home this past Saturday night. J&N have hosted it a few years in a row. This can't be an easy undertaking for them because they invite everyone, adults only. They usually have 60-80 people respond that they are coming. We hosted the first neighborhood party at our home 4- 5 years ago. It was a lot of work. As I get older I know that I don't have the stamina to do that again. But we love going to others.

We always bring a hostess gift to J&N or anytime someone is gracious enough to invite us to their home. It doesn't have to be expensive. This year we took them a bottle of wine, decorated with a pretty  bow with a decoration, and hung a package of Rabbit wine bottle stoppers off of the bottle. I use these for my bottles after they have been opened. They keep all of the air out so that the wine doesn't go bad.

The expense was just the bottle of wine(any price you want to pay) and about $5.00 for the bottle stoppers. The bow with the decoration was reused from a package we received.

J&N when they sent the invitation asked half of the alphabet to make an appetizer(us) and half to make a dessert. We like to bring an appetizer that is cold so that we don't have to use their oven, microwave or outlets. Last year so many people brought crock pot dishes that they were having trouble finding outlets.

So this year I made Million Dollar Dip. Here is the recipe:

5 green onions, chopped
8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
1/2 cup of real bacon bits
1 and 1/2 cup of mayonaise

The only real work was cooking a 12 oz. package of center cut bacon and crumbling it into bits after it cooled and chopping the green onions. Then you just mix it all together in a bowl and put it in whatever container you are taking to the party. Let it cool about 2- 3 hours in the refrigerator. It is easy and so delicious. Hubby loves it. I had all I could do keeping him out of it before we went to the party.

I brought a Dollar Tree red bowl and Ritz crackers to put in it. I just left the dip in the Betty Crocker container that I also purchased at Dollar Tree and put a sturdy plastic fork in it to dish it onto the cracker. I always bring Dollar tree containers to parties so if I forget to bring them home, no great loss. The hostess can reuse them to take to another party.

The hostess loved the gift we brought for them and the dip went over very well at the party. There was none left. We had a wonderful time visiting with all of our neighbors and catching up on their lives. We are a very tight knit neighborhood so we all get along really well. Everyone looks out for everyone else. Many of our neighbors were very concerned when Hubby was in the hospital and looked after me with help and meals. We are very lucky! Most of us won't see each other again until Spring because we will all be hibernating in our homes during the cold and snow.

So do you have a special hostess gift that you take to parties? Is there a special appetizer that you make for parties? Please leave a comment and share with all of us.

6 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! The dip sounds delicious too!
    So glad that you live in a great community. I'm glad that you all look out for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to spread cream cheese and red and green pepper on tortillas and then cut them into pinwheels. Very festive looking. I always gravitate to the cheesy salty snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      Oh that sounds so good. I am adding those to my list of appetizers. Perhaps I will take it to the next party we go to.

      Delete
  3. My husband calls this shrimp pie. Soften and spread a block of cream cheese on a platter. Pour cocktail sauce to cover. Top with small bite-size shrimp. Serve with Ritz or your favorite crackers. It's always a hit at get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle,

      That sounds delicious and easy. It is going on my list of appetizers. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete