Thursday, January 12, 2017

Frugal Things We Have Done The Past Few Weeks

                                                                                                   
These are the frugal things we have done the past two weeks:

- Bagged all of our garbage from our wastebaskets for our weekly pickup in the outside wrappers from bulk toilet paper packages. This enabled us to only use one tall kitchen garbage bag a week from our kitchen.

- Received $11.00 in rebates in the mail. This money went into my Disney spending money fund to buy Disney gift cards.

- Took bottles back twice and got a total of $3.30. This also goes into my Disney fund.

- Ordered a Free Gillette razor.

- Received Hubby's jury duty check which we deposited into our high interest savings account. Filed the info away for 2016 taxes.

- Made a semi homemade pizza every week these past few weeks using store purchased dough for $ 2.69, one small can of tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepperoni, diced onion, sliced black olives and lots of mozzarella cheese. The whole pizza cost me under $ 4.50 which is much cheaper than buying the frozen one that we like and a lot less than $20.00 for one ordered out. Besides any pizza that we have ordered out in the past two years has been awful. My pizza feeds us two meals plus a lunch. $ 1.50 per meal for good pizza is a bargain for us. Aj makes a great pizza dough which I am dying to try. She is moving so when she has time to dig it out I will be most grateful. I thought I had it but I don't.

- When we make bacon/sausage and eggs for breakfast which is weekly, I always cook the entire package of meat. Then I package the leftover meat into portions and freeze it for the next few times we need it. Just putting it in the microwave for a few seconds reheats it. This saves me from using so much natural gas.

- We buy big containers of oatmeal for breakfasts most of the time. Just 1/2 cup of oats, some raisins and brown sugar and boiling water makes a delicious breakfast. 

- Took my books back to the library and got 2 more.

- Washed 6 loads of laundry in the HE's using cold water. Hung them in the basement to dry.

- Received my free Coke Rewards coupon for a 12 pack. I am waiting for a B1G1 free sale to use it. I got 10 free 12 packs last year doing that.

- I was going to order a minion cake from my friend's bakery for my grandson's birthday which we are celebrating here soon. When I was told the price, I just about choked. So I thought about it and decided that he will love his birthday gifts so much that he won't care what kind of cake he has. So I will make him a cake and save many dollars. My cake will cost about $3.00 including the sprinkles and age 7 candle.

- Got $6.25 in rebates from Ibotta

- Got $3.50 in rebates from Checkout 51

- Got $ 7.50 in rebates from Saving Star

- Received some free samples at Rite Aid on Senior Citizen discount day.

- Made sure to grocery shop at Top's on senior citizen discount day to get my 6% off.

- I have been using my laptop as often as possible instead of the big PC saving me on electricity.

- Friends of ours stopped in one afternoon for tea. I made a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting to serve with it. This is what was left after they went home.

- Our outside grill got blown over in the windstorm the night before last. Hubby and I went out in the freezing weather to put it upright and to see the damage. A door had come off and the the grills all came out when it crashed but Hubby was able to put it back together. The only permanent damage was a ding in it. Fortunately we had taken the propane gas tank out and stored that in the shed. I am still amazed that it went over. It had huge, very heavy patio blocks in it to keep it from going over. 

- We continue to save on electric and natural gas as much as we know how. Hubby has turned the heat up to 71 - 72 to keep him from freezing so I expect the January bill will be huge. I am grateful that we have heat. 

- We have been making smoothies a lot for breakfast using fruits that we froze the last two summers. I am trying to use some of them up. 

- Received $ 7.51 in rewards from one credit card

- Received my $100. cashback applied to current credit card bill which helped defray Christmas expenses.

- Filled the car up with gasoline using my $ .60 off per gallon Top's points.

- We have been meal planning and pretty much eating from the freezer to keep the grocery bill down.

Did any of you doing anything frugal these past two weeks? Please share with us in comments.   

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who buys small figures(minions for you) from the dollar store and puts one or more on top of her homemade cakes when her kids ask for a specialty character cake! They're just as happy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,

    Thanks for sharing that tip. I will look for one in my dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted my Frugal Friday Wrap Up on my blog. My biggest savings this week involved a 3 minute phone call on a billing error at Walmart's pharmacy. I saved myself a little over $97 for 3 minutes time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      That was definitely worth your time. I am headed over to your blog.

      Delete