Friday, January 6, 2017

New Storage

I am starting to feel better today so I helped Hubby take our new Origami shelves out into the garage. This is where I will be storing my large and some small appliances for now. The small may come back in after I rearrange the kitchen and see how much space I have. Meanwhile everything is on them but my electric frypan and my meat slicer which is down in the basement. I will grab it next time I have to go down there. The frypan I use so often that I am keeping that in the kitchen along with my food saver, coffee pot and Vitamix. This shelving unit is just outside the door where my kitchen is.

After putting everything on them, I am trying to figure out what to cover them with so that they don't get dusty. I don't want to have to clean them each time I use them. The smaller ones, if they don't come back into the kitchen will go in a box that I saved from an Amazon delivery. Can you guys make some suggestions? Perhaps old sheets or putting each of them in a garbage bag? I need some good ideas so I am relying on you.

Bottom line is that they were all in pantries and cupboards in the kitchen and they made my kitchen seem very crammed and cluttered. With them out, I now shouldn't have to stack things. I hate having to move things to get at other things. I want an efficient kitchen for the first time in my life.

These Origami shelves were ordered from HSN on a special deal that was a set of two for $ 215.95 including tax. This is only one of them that we put in the garage. The other one is sitting in the large guest bedroom while we determine what we are going to use it for. Most likely it will end up in the basement. It will either go in the storage pantry, in the storage area of the basement, or over by Hubby's work bench. It could end up in the garage also but that won't be until it is warm enough out there to rearrange the garage. I almost froze out there this morning just putting the shelves and  appliances out there. It was 14 degrees outside while I was working.

I hope you all have a great weekend and I will be  back posting on Monday.   

17 comments:

  1. Have you thought about a wire shelf unit cover? Something like this
    https://www.uline.com/BL_148/Mobile-Shelving-Covers?pricode=WX682&AdKeyword=shelf%20covers%20for%20wire%20shelving&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH04kpRUVcfT2ZUy9kx2ut03UIk7y4S96nKm9ECIaOK8aAghm8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

    I imagine if you shopped around you might find it for a lower price or if you are handy could probably make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendi,

      That's fantastic bit I was hoping not to spend too much after spending so much on the shelves. But I will keep it in mind.

      Delete
    2. I wonder how hard these would be to make...maybe use vinyl shower curtains?

      Delete
    3. Hi Life in Mooseport,

      Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  2. I would suggest that you use clear bags, so that you can easily see what each appliance is. Penny S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are starting to feel better!
    Those look like some sturdy shelves. Perhaps old pillow cases for the smaller appliances (rice cooker, etc?)
    Hope you have a great weekend! Are you expecting much snow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!

      Great idea. I do have some old ones.

      I have no idea how much snow we are going to get. We only got an inch the last two days. People a few miles south of us got 28 inches. We were lucky.

      Delete
    2. I'm with Kathy, my vote is for old pillowcases. You can label them with permanent marker so you'll know what's underneath. Even though clear plastic is a good idea, I wouldn't go with it because I live in the dusty desert, but maybe you don't have that much dust there? I know you'll make the decision that's best for you!

      Delete
    3. Hi Colette,

      Thanks for your $.02. We do have dust here but not like the dust when I lived in AZ.

      Delete
  4. Awesome idea...I hate storing my small appliances in the kitchen also, it definitely clutters your space. Wish my garage was attached. I was thinking the same as the first commenter...the shelf cover. But now I'm not so sure that will keep dust off since the bottom is open. What about clear cheap plastic bins? You could put the lid under the appliance & the bin on top. Just lift the bin off when you needed to use the appliance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    My idea is to attach velco to the top of each side of the shelving unit and then make a panel from fabric for each side or if you have any window treatments not using you could use that instead of sewing panels. Attach velcro to each panel. Hope this helps.

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janie,

      That is a terrific idea. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. what about one of those clear hot house things? You know the one you use for the vertical greenhouses? That way you could still see what you want and everything would be covered and you would have a door that you unzip when you need to get something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi i just left the idea about the green house cover. This is one of the few links i could find that show what i mean clearly. I dont know how to post just the image of it.
    https://www.gurneys.com/product/Fleece-Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both of your responses Amanda. I will go look at it.

      Delete