Monday, January 30, 2017

Why Hubby Doesn't Shop

Hello everyone. Thanks so much for all of the good wishes. I am on the mend and feeling like I have some energy again. Hubby waited on me hand and foot while I got the rest that the doctor ordered. My menu pretty much went out the window. Hubby only cooks certain things. He made chicken piccata for two nights which was so delicious. He made wild rice to go with it. Then he made spaghetti and meatballs. I eat my spaghetti with parmesan and butter.

He also ran some errands for me to the bank, to Rite Aid for my prescriptions, and to B.J.'s. The picture is what he purchased at B.J.'s. I gave him a list of three items that I was out of to pick up. Can you guess what the three items were? I needed cold pressed coconut oil because that is what I saute with. I also asked him to get some avocado oil to drizzle on salads and to make mayonaise, and a liquid hand soap refill. He did well getting those items. However the rest is why I don't let him loose at the warehouse club or market. He bought a pound of deli ham, white cheddar corn puffs, microwave popcorn, mini quiche appetizers, and Chex mix. UGH! 

We rarely buy deli meat because of what is in it. But this made sandwiches for him while I was sick so I will give him grace on that. All of the treats were unnecessary. I can make quiche, popcorn in our popper, and get him a little bag of Chex mix not this humongous bag. Besides it is loaded with salt which he shouldn't have. I think I will return it.

His extra purchases came to $37.58. Mine would have been $33.05. He also renewed our membership which was $50.00+ 8.75% tax. I will return the Chex mix the next time I go there. Because he is Hubby whom I love, I will get him a small bag of Chex mix if he wants it the next time I go shopping.

Does your Hubby go shopping for you and come back with lots of junk? 

20 comments:

  1. Glad you are at home on the mend. My husband is not allowed to shop often either as he spends double what I would. Sometimes it cannot be avoided however, and I prepare myself for the receipt :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,

      Thanks. It couldn't be avoided so I forgave him. :-)

      Delete
  2. Aww I am so glad that you are on the mend! Sounds like your hubby took good care of you! Please keep taking it easy and get your energy back.
    I think your hubby did a great job shopping. Now if it had been my husband, he would have come home with several hundred dollars worth of stuff from the warehouse store. He really has no idea what is a good deal, and what isn't. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. He did. I have myself on a 1/2 day schedule today so that I can take it easy for 1/2 day.

      I guess I was lucky.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better. That was too funny how your DH bought all those snacks. I think he deserves it after taking such good care of you and for keeping us updated. Those mini quiches are delicious though. Thankfully my DH doesn't eat much snacks, so he never goes overboard when I send him to the store.

    You pay sales tax on your membership renewal? I don't think we pay tax on ours. I'll have to check when I renew ours in a few months.Hope you are right as rain in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pubbler,

      Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, they tax every thing in NYS.

      Delete
  4. Hubby is my budget killer, I really try and avoid letting him go to the grocery store if at all possible, he came home with $11 pickled eggs the last time he went to Costco. And he said they weren't that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheapchick,

      I hear you. I guess most Hubbies do it. Pickled eggs-YUCK.

      Delete
  5. So glad you are doing better.
    My Hubs is one of the rare few who can be sent to the grocery store with a list and stick to it. OTOH, don't let him loose w/a credit card in a liquor store! lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slugmama,

      Thanks. Your Hubs is definitely rare. The liquor store made me laugh.

      Delete
  6. I don't let my hubby shop much either. He spends way too much money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine walks around like a kid in a store looking at everything. Last time he picked up two boxes of tea (spearmint and who knows what) and I threw them away two years later. Got to love them. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,

      Hah! Yes, you have to love them.

      Delete
  8. Whenever my husband gets to go shopping by himself he will purchase: raw peanuts (to parch) a large jar of salted peanuts, and a big bag of peanut brittle candy. This is bought my a man who won't even touch a peanut butter sandwich! But whenever I am down he takes care of me as best he can. And I take care of him whenever he is down. This is how people stay married for 47 years. Penny S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,

      The comment on your Hubby made me laugh. We do the same when we are each sick. Congrats on 47 years.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. We miss you when you're gone.
    I believe our husbands are kindred spirits. Mine hasn't gone to the grocery store by himself very often but, when he does, he always comes back with surprises. And of course, we can never leave the warehouse club without a huge bag of Chex Mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi olderandwiser,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments. I guess a lot of Hubbies are the same. :-)

      Delete
  10. I am so glad you are feeling better. Please get plenty of rest and try not to overdue it. Ome of my first lessons way way way back when I first met you on the GC board was DH is my biggest hit to the grocery budget. Anytime he goes to any grocery store he gets $75 worth of junk food regardless of sales. I recall drawing the line one night we were shopping at 10pm on last day of flyer before the sales started for new week. We were on right post college budget. He HAD to have oreos and they were $5.99 for 1 pack...... the next day they were going to be on sale for 2.99 and I offered to stop on way to work to pick up at lower price. Nope he had to have tonight.... fast forward we bought because I wanted to test a theory.... it took him 3 days to actually open them. Needless to say he is reminded even a decade later why he doesn't shop at the store. So glad DH took care of you. We have a few online grocery order/ pickup system I use if very sick and DH just picks up/ loads in car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AJ,

      Thanks so much for your kindness. Thanks for sharing your story. :-)

      I will remember about the grocery delivery tip. Thanks.

      Delete