Friday, February 3, 2017

My February Plans

I am so happy that February is here even if we are going to have 6 more weeks of winter. It makes me happy because I know that Spring is on the horizon.

It is my very favorite season because it is one of new beginnings. After a spending month like January, we need a new beginning.

Two other goals that I have this year besides saving as much money as we possibly can are to lose weight and stay fit and to organize my home.

The first one I am doing well with. My doctor was impressed that I have lost 10 lbs. since just before Thanksgiving. I managed to do that even with all of the holiday meals and birthdays that we have celebrated. Our plan for eating has been working well. We try to eat healthy, watch portions, and cut out snacks. Sometimes I will have what I consider a snack(an apple, some canned peaches or pears, few crackers with cheese, a hard boiled egg) mid afternoon. But I never snack after we eat dinner which is usually served here between 5 & 6PM. Breakfasts have been eggs with bacon just once a week. Most of the time, I have a smoothie made with fruit that I froze when it was in season or a bowl of oatmeal or cereal. Hubby is a late riser so he makes his own breakfast. Lunches are leftovers, salads or sandwiches.  We have cut way back on our sugar usage. I will use Splenda or sugar for baking but rarely in anything else.

You all know that my son and grandson visit every Sunday. We have not been having donuts. My son is only eating fruits, vegetables, meats and eggs. So I cook a healthy breakfast for all of us. 

I have a daily exercise routine that involves walking and the recumbent bike. I also have an exercise routine that works on my body core. My treadmill is broken so I need to get someone here to repair it. As soon as the weather gets nicer, I will be back to taking long walks outdoors. Hubby has a bad disc  back problem. He has tried all kinds of procedures and nothing has really given him any relief. His spine and back doctor has recommended no surgery. Both Hubby and I are happy with that. We have two relatives who opted for surgery and it has not turned out well. They are both in nursing homes now.  Instead the doctor has prescribed some medication for him to take on his really bad days. So we are hoping that this will allow him to do more walking come spring. 

The second goal is to get our home organized the way I really want it and keep it that way. So my plan is to go through every nook and cranny in our home and get rid of things that we have a tendency to hang on to. There will be a major purging here. I have always been pretty organized but even I can become a pack rat if I don't pay attention.

I will be taking the time to look at each and every thing and determine if it still has a purpose in our home. I will get rid of duplicates. Clothes that are starting to look a little old will be cut up and used for rags. However I will limit myself on how many rags I keep.  Anything that could still be useful to someone I will donate or sell.

The reason I want to get organized like I never have before is to make things easier to clean and take care of around here. As we age, easy is good. While I am healthy enough to do these things, I want them done.

I want my kitchen to be easy and pleasing to make a meal in. Because my kitchen is so large, it is so easy to put way too much stuff in it. You all know that I have removed my small appliances that I don't use every day to the shelves in the garage. That has helped but I still have work to do in the cupboards.

BTW, I solved the problem of keeping dust and dirt off of the appliances. I purchased clear recycle bags( they are thicker than trash bags) and put each appliance in one and tied them up. I also took the time to put each care and use book and any cookbooks that were specifically for an appliance in the same bag. So that when I go to use them, everything I need is at my finger tips. I used my crockpot to make turkey soup this week and it was  nice and clean and easy to get in and out of the bag.

Just getting these appliances out of the kitchen has made a huge difference. I do keep my Vitamix and Keurig machine on my kitchen counter because we use them every day. Everything else is in the garage.

It would be easy to spend a fortune on containers to organize my home. I will be doing some of that but I don't want to ruin our budget doing it. So I am trying something new this month.

We will be eating out of our stockpile because the freezers need to be emptied for when we buy our quarter of a cow. So I will only be getting groceries when we need fresh things like produce, milk, eggs, cheese, or organic meat if it is a good deal. Very little groceries will be purchased. I am not even buying anything special for the Superbowl. I will make Buffalo wings from frozen wings in the freezer. We may end up just eating those with a salad and not making our planned meal for Sunday.

So in keeping with that I had Hubby take $ 500. out of the bank for me last week for February spending. That $ 500. will be my limit for food and organizing this month. When it is gone, there will be no more added. So I will be reusing some of the organizing bins, baskets, shelving etc. that we already have first. 

So I have set my priorities:

1) Continue our eating and exercise plan.
2) Continue to organize my home without spending a fortune on containers.
3) Spend no more than $500. on food and organizing.
4) Spend as little as possible on everything else.  

I know this is a money saving blog but as I organize an area, would you be interested in seeing pictures and a description? Let me know by leaving a comment and I will try to accommodate. It is what I will mostly being doing this month to get ready for spring.

Also if any of you know where to buy organizing containers that are beautiful but not expensive, please share in the comments.

Today, I will be cleaning out and organizing my coffee, tea, and smoothie area in the kitchen. I pulled these things in the picture out of a basket this morning that is cluttered with samples. I vow to use them up this month.  

20 comments:

  1. I would love to see your organized areas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle,

      Thanks for the interest. I should have something tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Gayle,

      I will share it on Monday. I forgot it is the weekend. Have a great one.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see! Being organized is money saving- you know what you have and don't buy things you don't need because you don't know where they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,

      You are so correct. It is money saving. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  3. I have regular back pain that comes with the arthritis/lupus that I have. One thing that's really helped me is yoga. Not a class, but finding exercises online that strengthen & stretch your core/back. Not sure if that's an option for your husband with his issue. My dad has recently gotten super into yoga, and it's helped his back tremendously. Back pain is the worst - hope relief is in sight for your husband.

    Your plan sounds great! We also really need to keep February in check. We have two birthdays & we are buying a house, so it will be critical to reduce all other optional spending to the bare minimum. Here's to a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Thanks for mentioning the yoga. I will have Hubby ask his doctor if that might help.

      Good luck with the house purchase. Right back at you on it being a great month!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your weight loss!
    Sounds like you have some great goals! I would love to see how your organize things, and hopefully I can get some ideas too. Great idea about the recycle bags for storing your small appliances.
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. It feels good. Also thanks for your interest. I just finished my coffee area and will share it on Monday.

      You have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  5. I would love to see your organization in progress too! Maybe it will motivate me to get some of my trouble areas done!
    Great job on the weight loss too! I am in need of losing thirty pounds this year and need to dig deep this month on that front too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TrayceeBee,
      Thanks and good luck with your weight loss. I will do some posts on my organizing next week.

      Delete
  6. Great goals for the month and way to go on the exercise and weight loss. I got a book on decluttering at the library that has helped us trim down quite a bit of stuff. By Marie Kondo and called Japanese art of decluttering I believe. You should check if they have it if you want different approach. It gave me some new approaches and I felt relieved after to be rid of things. I need to organize my new kitchen area and oddly I have less drawers than last house and more cabinets so I may make a baking cabinet with command hooks hang my common baking items inside door like measuring cups and such so they are easy to get to when I need them. I would love to see pics as you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aj,

      Thanks. I will look for that book at our library. Thanks for the tip. I did the coffee area today and will be working on my baking cupboard over the weekend. I will post pics as I do them.

      Delete
  7. You plan sounds great! I, too, would enjoy seeing your organization pictures. I am always looking for new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      Thanks for the kind words. I will be doing some pics.

      Delete
  8. I would enjoy seeing your organization posts. All of your blogs are informative and interesting. :) - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie,

      You are so kind Ellie. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. As always, you are so inspiring to me! I would also love to see pictures. As far as containers and such, I believe you should trust your own judgement about these based on what you already know. You have always impressed me as someone who was wise at a young age and has great common sense! I am also so happy to hear that no surgery is recommended for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      You are so kind. Thank you. I have pulled all of my containers that I have not been using out of the basement and they will be used first.

      Hubby and I are so happy about no surgery.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy all you post about. It is YOUR blog. You should post about whatever subject you wish. Don't limit it to one subject only. 😀

    ReplyDelete