Monday, February 13, 2017

This Week's Menu Plan + A Little of This and a Little of That

We did not leave our home this weekend. We had an ice storm Saturday night into Sunday morning. Then it turned to rain, back to freezing rain, and then to snow. We woke up this morning to a couple of inches of white everywhere. There is more on the way this week.

When you are older, your worst nightmare is falling on the ice. So we don't even take the risk. My sister contacted me on Saturday to let me know that my brother-in law had fallen on the ice in their driveway and fractured his knee cap. He will mend but it will be slow. After his accident and Sluggy's Hubs accident, I think I will stay put whenever there is bad weather.
Being retired, we have the privilege of waiting storms out and going out to run errands on weather free days. That is part of the freedom that we have enjoyed all of these years.

However that said, my son drove 90 miles each way to bring my grandson to his swimming lesson and for breakfast here. He does this every Sunday and weather does not seem to bother him. I was a little worried but they got here and home just fine.

Since my son is on a special diet and only eats protein foods and vegetables, we have been having one big breakfast every Sunday consisting of lots of eggs and either ham, sausage or bacon. We are all happy with this menu and it makes it easy for me because I always know what I need to shop for. Hubby and my grandson also have some juice. 

However this weekend, I decided to try something different. I wanted to see if my grandson would like biscuits. I asked my son and he said he would think that he would. So I made homemade biscuits for breakfast too. My grandson loved them and gobbled down 4 of them warm spread with butter. I forgot to take a picture and there are none left. Sorry!

Last Sunday, my grandson took the top off our cookie jar and there were no cookies. The look on his face was such disappointment. So after breakfast yesterday, he and I made Toll House chocolate chip cookies and filled up the cookie jar. He had some warm cookies and I sent him home with a container full of them to enjoy this week. My above pictured cookie jar was full yesterday. I think Hubby has been enjoying them. I try to stay away from them but I did eat two yesterday and they were so good.

Because there is a sloppy mess out today, we are again going to nest. I will continue organizing in my kitchen. It is getting done slow but sure. I think I will work on my serving dish cupboard and my pots and pans cupboard. Our son brought us all of the Star Wars movies that are out. So I think Hubby and I will start at the beginning and watch one today. I can watch from my kitchen while I work. Our home is open concept so that makes it very easy. It is a movie watching kind of day.

I planned our menu for the week yesterday:

Sunday: Tomato soup with onions, spices, and tiny macaroni. I was not hungry so Hubby made this favorite that he likes.

Monday:  Baked haddock, broccoli and pears for dessert

Tuesday: Pork chops, pineapple slices, and green beans

Wednesday:  Pork stir fry with peppers and onions and orange sauce on rice

Thursday:  Pancakes with strawberries and maple syrup

Friday:  Homemade pizza; veggies for me and pepperoni for Hubby, tossed salad.

Saturday: Beef stew in the crockpot with potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery

Sunday:  Leftover smorgasboard

I am hoping that the roads are okay tomorrow because I need to go grocery shopping for a few items.

Did you make your menu this week? If you care to share, leave it in the comments.

I am signing out to go and get some organizing done. I hope you all have a great day!          

4 comments:

  1. I share you concerns with falling on the ice. This winter has not been kind to me by keeping me in the house most of the time. I have not been able to get out and walk much and the pounds have crept up on me and settled in. We finally have had some warmer weather and the ice is meting so I can get out again.

    Your menu sure sounds good. :) I've been doing menu planning with my husband's input and it sure motivates me to get more variety into our meals. Since I do have limited energy and some days close to none, I will switch meals around when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    I can't wait until spring. I love walking outdoors. It is so easy to gain a few pounds in the winter since we are indoors most of the time. But they should easily come off in the nice weather.

    I am getting very used to menu planning with Hubby. I find that if he can put in his two cents that he cooks dinner more often. One of the reasons that I keep my menu simple is so that he will cook. He cooked dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best grandma! One of my kids favorite memories is making cookies with my mom...fun to make and fun to eat!
    So glad you are staying in when the weather is bad. I broke my ankle a few years ago by slipping on ice, and it required surgery along with screws and plate. It took months before I was able to really walk again. I don't like getting out when it is icy.
    Your menu sounds delicious! Hope you are feeling better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. I love making cookies with the grands. Oh no! Breaking your ankle was awful. I hope it doesn't give you trouble now. Please avoid ice at all costs the same as I do.

      I am feeling a whole lot better than I have for a long time. Thanks.

      Delete