Thursday, March 2, 2017

Another Productive Money Saving Day

It's 5:15AM and I am again enjoying my cup of raspberry coffee. It is not so quiet this morning though. We had horribly strong winds all night that brought in a cold front. Yesterday was a high of 60 and this morning it is 24. The winds are still blowing and it is snowing. However, the sun is supposed to come out later this morning.

The house last night was creaking and groaning and we heard some crashing somewhere outside. As soon as the sun rises, I am going outside to see what that might have been. I will walk around the house checking the roof and siding to make sure that there is no damage. There were trees and power lines  down and thousands of people are out of power in WNY. We were lucky that ours stayed on. 

This morning I will be having some oatmeal with dried cranberries for breakfast. Hubby will have some raisin bran. I keep 25 lbs. of oatmeal in a food grade bucket in the basement. That will last us for about 2 years between breakfasts and baking. The raisin bran I buy with coupons when there is a good sale. I use water for my oatmeal but Hubby uses milk on his.

Today will be a clean out the refrigerator day. We have cottage cheese and some leftover pineapple slices. They will get combined for lunch. We will also finish the sugar snap peas that didn't get finished last night.

Dinner is going to be Chef's salads. We have turkey, roast beef, and ham cold cuts leftover. They were served on Friday for lunch when our family arrived. Today is the last day that we can eat them safely. So Hubby will be making these salads for us and my son who is coming here after work. Hubby makes great big salads. Not only will they have the meats, but they will have lettuce, celery, radishes, carrots, onions, sliced eggs, black olives, cheese, bacon bits, croutons and our choice of dressing. The best part is that I don't have to make them.

We have finished our breakfast and the dishes are in the dishwasher. Now it is time for my navy shower and to get ready for the rest of the day. 

I have been thinking about how we are so tempted to spend money every day because of store ads, e-mails giving a percent off coupon and telling you about their sales, deal sites and dept. store coupons that come in the mail. Two recent examples for me have been from Rite Aid and Kohl's. 

While I was picking up a prescription at Rite Aid they gave me 2- 20% off coupons. One good for seniors this past Wednesday and one for tomorrow and Saturday. There is nothing I need so I am not going either day to use these. They have been put in the recycle bin.

Yesterday I received a mailer from Kohl's with a $5.00 off $5.00 purchase in the store good tomorrow through next Wednesday March 8th. I also received a 30% off coupon if I use my charge. At first this looks like a great deal. So I could buy something for about $ 7.15 and end up paying only tax. Now perhaps I could find something that cheap that could be a gift. However when I calculate my gasoline to go to Kohl's which is 18 miles round trip having paid $ 1.80 for my last tank of gasoline, it would cost me $ 1.54 for that trip. So now this $ 7.15 purchase will cost me $ 1.54 plus $ .63 in sales tax which equals $ $2.17 making my profit on this purchase $4.98. But I need nothing right now. However if I end up having to go down that way for another reason while the sale is on, I may stop in to see what I can find that I could use for a gift basket. So I will hang onto these coupons just in case.

I just came inside from checking the roof and siding on our home. Everything is intact thankfully.

Now I am making 6 hard boiled eggs so that we will have a few for our salads tonight and some extras. 

Hubby is craving something sweet. He can't have sweets very often so I am off to make him something that he can have later for dessert.

I will spend the rest of my morning working on the same closet that I worked on yesterday.  

We just finished lunch so I am going out for a walk to get my exercise today.  

Back from my walk with lots of energy so I ironed the shirts that I washed and hung yesterday.

My dessert was done when I got back so I put it in glass containers in portions for two so that it can easily be reheated in the microwave. This is the
recipe: Cherry Dump Cake .

Mine did not seem to brown as well as hers but it tastes pretty good. 

Now that most of my work is done for the day, I am going to watch You Tube on my tablet for a while. 
Hubby is watching his favorite shows that he records.

My son joined us for Chef's salads. He and Hubby are going to the Buffalo Sabres vs. Arizona Coyotes ice hockey game tonight. We loved the Coyotes when we lived in AZ. My son has taken his Dad to two ice hockey games this year as a birthday gift.

I have a friend stopping by to spend the evening with me. I haven't seen her in a while so I am looking forward to it. 

I made a check out for a co-pay for a doctor bill that came in the mail today. That was the only money spent and no gasoline was spent. It was a great day.

I hope you had a money saving day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment